How does the dictionary define dicouraged?

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Well friends, I have spent allot of time since the opener of A zone sitting in stands wondering where have all the deer gone. Tonight was the last straw. Did not even see one little doe. I am the epitomy of discouraged.

Only 4 days of the season left and I have vowed to go out every evening after work, but I have to confess brothers, at this point it's hard to remain hopefull. My only solice is you, my friends here in JHO, whom I know many are going through this same emotional battle. I have gotten so distraught I had to take a picture of myself so I could guage the sorrow in my eyes.

[attachment=31625:attachment]

Attachments

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I had a momma quail and her brood to keep me company. Take care all. Oh and there is an "s" in discouraged. Sorry it's late.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
If at first you don't succeed, you must be bowhunting Kali.

Good luck

scott0san

Reaction score
I would happily sit in a blind after work every day, Only thing is that the closest place for me to hunt is a 3 hour one way drive. That said you can bet your last dollar that my alarm will be going off at 2am Saturday morning and I will be in the field before first light (and before the Mercury hits 100) and enjoying every minute
Keep the faith

blazintowers

Reaction score
Buck up little camper, the time will come when the blood will flow!

BirdDawg

Banned
Reaction score
I like your hair-do..........
.......I envy you a wee bit.........you get to get out and hunt........all I get is to wait for the next season....
........good luck........I checked my magic 8 ball and it said you were going to get your buck tonight.

Orygun

Reaction score
Your too well camoflauged. Don't you know that if the deer can't see you, you can't see them?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
At least you're hunting, Bighog. Like ScottOSan, it's two and a half to three hours for me to hit my nearest public land hunt, and odds of seeing a legal buck there are almost as slim as seeing a shootable hog.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
in 3 wks. for the D zone opener i am going to mix it up over my the 4 day hunt by spot & stalk/tree stand and even thinking about bringing a blind, i wont be board and i want every advantage i can use to be succesfull and not regreat it later. i want to enjoy every second of it good or bad and come home with a good story and pics to share with you all, good luck in future hunts BigHog........tra

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Well, first off thanks everyone for your replies. You have been a terriffic sounding board for me and as a result I will be able to skip this weeks appointment with my psychologist and pocket the $150.

ROMAN ARCHER : Good luck on your D zone quest. I can offer you a brand new climbing stand to use if you can find a decent pine tree to hang it on. I also have a ground tent blind. I really do cherish my time in the field. It is always good, even without seeing game all the time. Sometime it takes a fellow hunter to remind me of that fact. Thank you much.

Speckmisser and scottOsan: I apoligize. You are also right in your wisdom. I should always be thankful that I have a place close to home to hunt. It is very hard these days to get away to hunt. There are many obstacles to overcome: Job, family committments and not to mention gas prices. Good luck to you both with your upcoming adventures and thank you for putting me back into perspective.

Blazintowers, bearclaw, BirdDawg and Orygun:I want to thankyou for the words of encouragement. Sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered to get a persons head on straight. Good luck to all of you as well in the months ahead.

Thanks to you gentlemen, I am now officially re-tuned and energized and will enter the deer woods with a new found attitude and hope for the future. Take care, now lets all go out and get them bucks.

BirdDawg, you get that DVD yet?

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
thanks for the luck BigDog and the climber stand offer, but like you said try finding a decent pine tree and thats why i have a nice little summit hang on stand with more tree versatility than a climber, but i do like climbers too.............tra

Gyopo

Reaction score
I hope you are not whining b/c you haven't bow killed a buck in one season here in CA.
I'm joking about the "whining" part.
It has been a few years and I still haven't put a tag on a CA bow killed buck.
Look at the stats, then you will see it is the vast minority that kill bucks.
Also take into account people that have access to family farms, old-timer's honey hole and such, then you will see what an accomplishment a Ca Bow killed deer is.

Good luck!

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
Bighog,

If its some consolation. Last season, I was out every afternoon until legal shooting hours day for the whole week straight from work to the last day of rifle deer hunting season. Never did score despite sign of beddings, trails, footprints, etc.

Misery loves company (lol).

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
No Gyopo, I am not whining and I am very much aware only a small minority of bow hunters here in CA go home with a buck. I was just experiencing a moment of weakness in my resolve. I hoped and was likewise rewarded in my thinking that my fellow hunters in JHO would be able to help me through it.

I have been trying now for 4 years to get one. I basically taught myself to bowhunt through trial and error. I have made every mistake in the book. Whiffed, missed, busted on the draw, arrow deflection you name it, I made it. However, I had high ambitions this was going to be my year. Thanks to my fellow JHO hunters those ambitions have remained in tact.

I will continue trying the remainder of bow season and through rifle if need be. Should I come up empty, there's always next year. I will count my many blessings and always try to focus on the positive. Every hour spent hunting is a gift. I just hope a nice arctic storm rolls in soon.

Beastslayer, "misery loves company"
- no truer words have ever been spoken.
Thanks.

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
Bighog,

An enjoy the scenery. That's my rationale being out there and hunting... err, my excuse, in coming home empty-handed.

deermagnet

Reaction score
Bighog,

Hang in there. Its the back end of the new moon week (means its really dark) and a cooling trend is coming this weekend. Sounds like deer movement during the mourning and evening to me.
Good luck,
DM

ELKBUSTER

Reaction score
Your time will come and when it does it will seem easy and you'll wonder why it doesn't happen like that all the time. It takes a real hunter to hunt with stick and string and a lot of trial and error before you succeed.

Remember if it was easy they would call it " killin " instead of "hunting " and then I probably wouldn't be interested in doing it.

Reasons we do it -
Time with freinds and family
Watching the sunrise
Watching the sunset
That damn mama quail and her covey
Viewing nature while blending into it
For bragging rights when everything works just right and you finally score
The thrill of the chase
ect. ect. ect ect

Hope this helps you to hold on !!!!!!!
Good luck with the rest of your season, EB

P.S. It only comes around once a year, grasp it while it's here and don't let go till the last minute !!!!!!

BirdDawg

Banned
Reaction score
well? I didn't get any phone call.......this can't be a good sign.
........hopefully your phone isn't working.

Top Bottom