How far do you walk?

StringShooter

Reaction score
I was wondering how far of a walk do most of you have to reach you stand location.

Depending on what stand I am hunting, it varies from 50 yards to about 1/4 to 1/2 mile :snail:

How about you?

Lankyman

Reaction score
StringShooter,

It depends on the stand.  I mainly hunt WMA lands here in SC.  I have hunted less than 75 yards from the truck out to close to a mile (for this stand it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get all the way back on to the river).  I bet the average is about 400 - 500 yards from the truck.  Hunting public lands, sometimes it is better to get back in the woods & let the guys that hunt close to the roads run the game to you.  I have taken a lot of my deer because someone else has pushed them toward me.  I usually have an extra shirt to put on once I get up my tree so I am not setting there sweatin' & freezin' depending on the time of the season.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
The farthest stand I have from where I park is about 1000 yards.

woodsman

Reaction score
Behind the house I hunt about 50 yards ,I do hunt another spot that I have to drive in thw woods to and set up about 30 to40 yards, I like to shoot when the deer get almost in the back of the truck LOL, so I'v been told   :smile-big-blue:

coyote170

Reaction score
Even with the state of MO allowing me the use of my
atv I park it back towards my truck and walk back
a couple hundred yards use it to pack my gear out!!

vman

Reaction score
Ive got stands less than 500 yards from my house.  I also have some where it is a 4mile atv ride then another mile walk.(northern minnesota)  

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 On average i walk about 30-45 minutes to my stand.But i do have one stand located at the top of a bluff that is a sure bet for a deer,they use the same trail to go up and down the side of it every year,A natural funnel i just stumbled on,of course it takes me 30 minutes just to climb Up it but it is right on the road.It is an Evening stand only,they go down every evening to eat and up every morning to go to beds.

sven

Reaction score
From the house it is anywhere from about 100 yards to 1/2 mile depending on the stand I'm going to.  In my area, western Illinois, it would be difficult to much longer walk than 1/2 mile.  It's mostly farmland and timber with roads on square miles.

pigsdaddy

Reaction score
It depends on where I am hunting.  I have spots that I can see the truck and then again I have one spot that is about  an hour or more into it.  There is no road and an ATV is not allowed in the forest.  I actually perfer to walk for a while before sitting for an extended period of time.  You make less noise getting to the stand and if you are looking, you might just get the big one on your way in.    

MBullism

Reaction score
The area out back that I hunt the most is a half hour walking in, but only cause I'm walking slow and quiet.  If I needed to it would be 10-15 minutes but everyone would hear me coming.

(Woodsman does like to shoot them near his truck, LOL  He once shot a doe while she was trying to start it, but she couldn't turn the key without thumbs!)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
A stand I commonly hunt is over 800 yards from where I park my truck.  I know this because I used a laser range finder to determine the distance.  On a WMA I hunt I’ll walk miles because I have too.  Then again I’ve had other stand that I could park the truck under and it was concealed but I could see for miles from the stand.  I had no problem dropping a doe and then driving up to her in a field.

rutnduck

Reaction score
anywhere from 100 yards to 2 miles.  depending on where Im hunting.  I don't use an atv and even if I did, I'd still park it where I park the truck.  Extra shirt is a must, along with a scentlok bag for the sweaty shirt.

Fletch

Reaction score
Like many of you, it really depends on the conditions. On average I walk 200- 300 yds. to my stand but that varies on wind direction and crops in the field.

VA Hunter

Reaction score
Call me crazy but the furthest I have ever walked to a stand was about a mile.  I didn't realize how far the stand accually was.  LOL! :rofl It was a good exercise though! LOL!

Bubba

Possum

Reaction score
My trek depends on the activity in the area.  If cars are always around, like off of a highway, I won't hike that far.  If it is pre-dawn on a farm in the winter with no leaves on the trees I may walk .5 - 1 mile.  Sometimes I will drop a stand after dark near where I am entering the woods at.  The deer are out in the fields feeding and it doesn't tend to spook them that bad - at least I see plenty the next morning.  That keeps me from sweating a lot the next morning.  Yes, I live in the Sahara Carolina, I mean South Carolina.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I have three stands on my farm that are permanently installed in trees and one climber that I take with me sometimes.  I always do better from the permanent stands somehow.  One is about 20 yards behind my big barn, one is about 120 yards into the woods and one is about a mile away.  The one that is 120 yds. out is by far my best location.  I don't think it has anything to do with how far I have to walk into the woods - I think in all cases its the location.  If there is a natural deer movement lane near then you are going to see deer no matter what.

I used to hunt from an old abandoned combine that a farmer left many years ago and it is not more than 20 ft. from a road that is fairly heavily traveled.  If the deer are used to their surroundings they will go on about their lives anywhere.  About 10 years ago there was a beautiful scrape just 10 ft. from this combine and during my pre-season scouting that year I saw the biggest buck in my life there.  Unfortunately I had a lot of out-of-town work that year and did not get back out there to hunt.  That area is now a gas station and a small strip mall.

wolverine

Reaction score
I guess the more stands you hunt the more answers you'd have for this question, but I'd have to say I average from about a quarter to a half mile. Mostly because of the remote locations and fences.

treestandman2

Reaction score
I hunt strip mined public land, about 5000 acres in all.  I haven't even checked it all out yet but my buddy, my sons and I hunt anywhere from 100 yards to about 1/2 mile from a road.  It is very rough land with not much open space.  Main thing is not the distance but where the deer sign happens to be.  Good hunting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom