How heavy of an arrow?

BoandME

Reaction score
I just got a Bear Super Kodiak at 55# and I am new to traditional archery and I was wondering how heavy of an arrow I should go with. I have hear just add a zero to the end of the poundage and that is how heavy your arrow should weight. I don't know if anyones else goes by that or not?
Also maybe you guys could let me know what your arrow set up is. I would like to shoot carbons preferably eastons. Thanks for any advice.

PowDuck

Reaction score
Welcome to the traditional bug. Hmmm - add a zero. hadn't thought of it that way. 9-12gr/lb is a good weight IMO. I can't help you with the carbons. I shoot 30" 2018 Easton Legacys with full length glue in inserts and Zwickey Eskimo broadheads. I have a CheckMate 55lb Crusader longbow and an Arkansas Stick 50lb Caddo longbow. They shoot well out of both bows.

You mentioned you were new to trad archery BUT have you been shooting compounds?

BoandME

Reaction score
Yeah I have a hoyt ultrasport that I love shooting but I just wanted to start shooting a recurve also. I can't wait to start shooting I think it is going to be a blast.

Judson

Reaction score
If you re not shooting a Penobscot bow figure around ten grains of arrow weight for each pound of draw weight. With the Penobscot bows figure around 15 grains per pound of draw weight.

SDsmokingun

Reaction score
what about 7 grains per pound i shoot 350 grain arrows out of my 50 pound grizzly is that bad?

PowDuck

Reaction score
7gr/lb seems a little light to me but how do they shoot? Heavier should be quieter though.

SDsmokingun

Reaction score
super fast but a lil loud was just wondering if its bad for the bow?

wtpops

Reaction score
10 gpp is the go to weight now days so adding a 0 is a good way to get there also as PowDuck said you cant go wrong with 9-12gpp, any thing in this weight out of a 55# kodiak will drop any north american game when put in the sweet spot. Put it like this what would you rather get hit headon by a volkswagon bug or a disel truck.

Sdsmokengun, 7gpp does seem a little light, the maker of the bow will have a gpp that they dont want you to go below. As PowDuck said a heaver arrow will make for a quieter bow and it will also shoot better, i have found. As far as how light is to light, there are flight shooters (distance competition) that go down to 2gpp but they take backup bows with them so when the bow blows up they can still shoot.

TRey

Reaction score
Just like the rest have said, heavier is better with arrows out of trad bows. I shoot a 57# Morrison recurve with 642 grain arrows. Nice and quiet, hits hard and penetrates well. Most of my weight is up front. I'm shooting Arrow Dynamics Trad Heavies carbons with about 326 grains at the tip with either a 300 Extreme 3 blade or a 300 grain single bevel grizzly two blade. I use the standard insert for this build. I also use a brass insert and 250 grain two blades built from glue on broadheads and steel inserts on some other arrows like the Beman MFX 400.

Top Bottom