How high

passgas55

Reaction score
I read in the set up to have cam 3 to 4 feet high. I was just wondering what every body is setting their cams at? I am aiming for deer and ferral pigs.
Thanks

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I've been setting mine at about 3 to 4 foot. Had great luck with it.  I just got back a roll of film with deer and racoons.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
This is what 1 foot high looks like, but I used a small stick behind the cam to tilt it up a little.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 7:52 pm on Aug. 27, 2001)

bowbender

Reaction score
hey gas, about knee high for me works well, give you a good eye level pic of deer!

Stickbow

Reaction score
A little trick I've been doing is taking a second 35mm camera along with me and kneeling or laying down next to the tree where I want to hang my camera, and actually "seeing" what the camera will see at a particular height or direction.

I've been pleased with my results so far, and can also take pics of my cam set-ups, or anything else I may see while in the woods. Can't take a picture if you don't carry a camera!!

Billy in VA

Reaction score
I have set mine at 3-4 foot. Depending on the lay of the land I sometimes place a stick behind the cam to tilt it down a little. I like the pics looking down and seeing the tops of their heads and whatever may be up there.  Later  Billy

robNhood

Reaction score
On adverage, I go around 2 1/2 feet. This depends on the angle of the camera, is it pointing a bit up or down? Is it looking down hill or up hill?

Each situation is different. I would stay with 2 1/2 to 3 feet on level ground.

To high and this is what you will get.

jayber

Reaction score
I've been hanging my cams at 4-5'.  Depending on the tree, I may have to put a stick behind the top or bottom of the box to level it, but I usually seem to get the whole deer with some background.  Any lower and the PIR range seems to suffer.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi jayber - I agree that PIR range suffers when a trail cam is low, and don't recommend it especially during the rainy season. I have been working a fence hole trying to get a hog picture for the Contest's (Best camera view or angle), but the same forked horn keeps passing through the hole. Guess he wants to be in the Contest?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom