How long before daylight

StringShooter

Reaction score
Are you like me? Do you get in your stand at least a half hour or more before first light?

I am notorius for getting in my stand long before first light. At least a half hour, sometimes longer. It's usually an hour before it is light enough to shoot.

What are your views on getting in a stand too early or too late?

Cdad

Reaction score
StringShooter, I try my best to be on stand @ least 1 hr before first light in the early season, but as I get further into the season and the weather gets colder (2-back surgeries, and arthritis) is is usually about 30 min before daylight.

coyote170

Reaction score
Set my pop up blind up the day before and am in about an hour
before daylight have gone in earlier but forgot to wake up that
time so go with this schedule for now!

woodsman

Reaction score
I try to get out at least 1 hour before daylight ,some mornings 1/2, some times 9 or 10 am LOL

shadow

Reaction score
I try to get in about an hour before light sometimes if I can't sleep 2 hours then take a nap at the stand.  Only if I can stand it...Ya know the excitement gets tough to handle sometimes I can't sleep the night before I go hunting.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
I try to get in an hour or so before light to let the area settle down.  :shades-smoke:

Gus

Reaction score
I am usually on stand at least 45 min. to 1 hour before daylight.  Sometimes I don't get there until about 10:00 but that is only when I am going to do an all day hunt.  I will sit in the stand for a while and if nothing shows, then I start walk to different spots and sit a few hours and move on.  Most of the deer I have shot has not been while sitting in a stand.

Beerdonga

Reaction score
Im usualy in my stand about an hour before sunrise also, but during the rut I usualy get in teh stand about 9 then try to hunt all day.  I tend to see a lot of bucks around 10 am.  And have even shot a few noon hour bucks

woodseye

Reaction score
My stands are a long ways in so I try to get to my stand 1/2 hour before shooting light. this lets things settle down as mentioned and gives me time to get up in my tree and ready.

woods

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I'm usually in my stand about 1/2 hour to one hour before daylight. I don't want to get there to early I may fall asleep. HeHe

VA Hunter

Reaction score
I usually go in the stand about 3:30 AM  and I still hunt to my stand.  I use a flashlight every once and a while to watch where I am going.  It also depends on where I hunt.  If I sleep on the property I leave where I can see 30 feet away from me.  Thanks,

Bubba

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I get there at least 45 minutes before daybreak. Once I get there I like to strap in, sit down, get a drink, and cool off a few minutes before pulling the bow/gun up and putting on gloves and such. I like to be all settled in and quiet for at least 30 minutes before daybreak.

jayber

Reaction score
I try to get setup on stand at least 1/2 hour before shooting light.  Many times I've heard bucks chasing does and grunting in the dark, wondering how big they might be.  Usually they're long gone before shooting light, but sometimes it's a good rush!

bradj

Reaction score
I like to be ready to hunt 1/2 hour before daylight.

JimYates

Reaction score
ditto for me.  1/2 hour to 45 min.  It sure makes me mad when I spook deer going to my stand.  It sure wakes you up in the dark, when that happens.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I get there as soon as i can wake my butt up! sometimes i get there 45 mins before daylight sometimes i just wait till the last 3-3 1/2 hrs of daylight,and of course all times in between.

Countrycajun

Reaction score
Around here, most of the deer we see are between 7:30 and 10:00 am. We get in the stand usually right at daybreak. As far as spooking deer, I've seen the same deer circle back minutes later when I'm already buckled in! Good luck.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Countrycajun, welcome to Jesses. I usually get to my stand just before legal hunting time. I hate jumping deer in the dark and not seeing what they are or where they go, but sometimes it's unavoidable. If you're quiet when approaching your stand things settle down in short order. The biggest killer is the wind. Deer don't need sunlight to smell you.

rijrnnr

Reaction score
I get there when I am good and ready... another words I tend to mix it up. Two years ago my buddy and I headed out about and hour to an hour and half before daylight. We were not seeing a single deer. About mid week, I decided to heck with this, left the camper at 7:30 or so, and had two deer down by 9:30.
On average though I would say I like to get there at least 1/2 hour before the eastern sky starts turning pink.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom