how long do batterys last in a digital camera

seahonk

Banned
Reaction score
i  just  bought a     olympus    D-100    digital  camera    and  was  trying to  get used  to it  and the  brand  new  batterys   that  came with  it  ran out  in  20  min   damm  so    i  thought  they  where  old  and  put a brand new  pair  in    and   about   20 min  later  dead  is  this  normal   i  know  it's  a  cheap camera   but come  on  is  this  normal  ?    is  the more expensive   camera's    battery's  last  longer  ?    i know  alot  of  ?  but  im new  to  the  digital  camera   thing  ok   thanks   sea  yas

Kickaha

Reaction score
Hi seahonk,

It depends more on what you did with the camera during those 20 minutes.  How many pictures did you shoot?  Was the flash used for any/all of the pictures?  If you shot 20 pictures, I'd say that's probably about right.  If you shot 2, I'd say there's something wrong.  That camera only uses two AA batteries, so it's not going to last as much as some others.

If it is only getting a couple pictures, try putting in a off-the-shelf-fresh pair of batteries that come with a built-in battery tester.  Turn the camera OFF.  Wait an hour or two.  Take the batteries out and test them.  If they're still good, put them back in, turn the camera ON, but don't take any pictures.  Wait another hour.  Take the batteries out and test them.

If the batteries are drained after the camera was off, you've got a short somewhere.  If the batteries are drained after the camera was on (no pictures), it's either a possible short or a really poorly designed camera.  If the batteries test okay after both experiments, I'd try out a pair of Eveready Lithium camera batteries and see what you get out of those.  Again, measure in terms of what you did with the camera, not in time used.

seahonk

Banned
Reaction score
thanks   Kickaha    ya  i  gess  i  was  messing  around  with  the  lcd  screen on  for  some  time    and  i   took  about  over  20  pic's       now i have   a  problem   downloading  the pic's  to  my  pc    i  have an old   pc  with  windows  95    and   i  think  i need   a  USB   driver    becouse    my  pc cant  find  the    USB  port    well  you dont  have  to  respond   i  e-maild  olympus   support     ok  thanks  

Kickaha

Reaction score
Completely forgot about lcd screens.  They'll eat up battery life very quickly -- as you found out.  That camera has an optical viewfinder, so you're in luck there.

If you can use the USB port with other accessories, then an Olympus driver is probably what you need.  They may not make one for Win95 though.  You may also need the driver that came with the USB hardware itself.  If Olympus is no help, you can probably get a smart media card reader to work with Win95, although that's more trouble than just plugging the camera in.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I used my D-370 on vacation.  Turned off the LCD panel and the beep sound and was able to take over 300 pics on one set of (4) AA's.  I kind of laugh now when I see people looking through the LCD to take a picture.  You can almost hear the batteries draining. :)

Todd

billkay

Reaction score
I have a couple Nikon D-1's that has to be used with $100 a pop rechargeables.  I long for the days of AA's.  I have gone through around 6 batteries each in about 2 years.  I do use the cameras 5 days a week, at least and the preview screen, but they should be better than that.  At least with AA's, you can replace them anywhere.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom