How long do your camera batteries last?

sven

Reaction score
Hello all.  First time poster, long time lurker.

I've build a game cam based on the great plans found on this site.  I used an Argus AF380D instead of the Owl.  I found this camera on ebay for next to nothing so I figured I'd give it a try.

So far I haven't developed any film with the system, but I've noticed the camera seems to eat regular batteries fast.

How long are your camera batteries lasting and what kind are you using.  Also what camera are you using.

Since I don't have a lot invested in the camera, I'm not against changing it out for a more efficient model.

BTW, this is a very easy model to modify.  It has a sliding front which is also the on/off switch so I only have two wires coming out of it.  I found that with the RS PIR I can run the sensor in alarm mode and the camera only takes one picture.  It doesn't keep taking pictures like some do.  I don't know if by doing this I'm draining the batteries, or if the flash cap is leaking current and draining the battery.

Thanks for any input,

Sven

Bob R

Reaction score
I use the Canon Owl with the round switch on the front.  I usually change the batteries after about 10 rolls.  To me, the batteries are cheap enough that I don't want to chance them going out in the middle of a roll.  If I remember right, the camera instructions said that the batteries were good for like 50 rolls at 10% flash, or something like that.  Since mine flashes every time, and it is out in the elements and cold temps, I want to make sure it works all the time.

gtk

Reaction score
I just bought some Double 'AA' lithium batteries.  Supposed to last about 4 times as long as regular double 'A's...  My double AA's where only lasting about 6 rolls...

Cost was about 5.00 for a four pack.

Possum

Reaction score
The OWL PF has a battery indicator on it.  I usually get around 10 rolls?  I found that in the hot weather they lasted a lot less time.  Now it doesn't seem like a problem.  I am also using recharchable AA batteries even though the book doesn't recommend it.  I have not noticed any difference so far (about 8 weeks for each camera).  My date battery did go out in two cameras.  I thought this was weird until I started looking at the last pics and the date was getting less bright after each pic.  The two cameras it went out in were bought off the same rack at the same time.  Maybe they were stored in a really hot warehouse somewhere?  Don't be a lurker anymore.:sunglasses-yellow:   :lurk:

GTK - That's a pretty good price, isn't it?

(Edited by Possum at 10:32 pm on Nov. 19, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The Owl PF's manual says the 2 AA's will last about 18 rolls of film when then flash is used 50% of the time.....

Tell us more about the Argus AF380D like price and where you got it, etc

gizz

Reaction score
This kinda leads into another question I've been wondering about. If the lense "door" is openend by sliding the switch on the front of the camera are the batteries being used up? Anyone know if leaving the lense door open drains the batteries faster?

sven

Reaction score
I found the AF380D on ebay.  I bought mine for about $5-10 including shipping, so like I said, if they don't work I'm not out a lot.  I think it's an old model so it might be getting scarce.  I only see it listed every once in a while.  I think you can find it or one similar to it by searching yahoo shopping, too.

The only problem I see is the short battery life.  I left one on to see how long it lasted and just overnight it wouldn't take a picture the next morning.  I'm thinking about taking the shell off and checking for current drainage across the cap with my multimeter.  If it's leaking a lot of current through an inefficient cap then this could be the problem.  I don't know if I've got the cahones to try to change that out so I may just look for a different camera.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the Update Sven,

I have one unit that uses a solonoid to press teh cam button, the cheapo point & shoot batts only last 2 days or sometimes 3 days in warm weather when the flash switch is "ON" (a w/e camera for sure)

Gizz

Good Question:  I noticed when the door is opened, the Flash circuit gets charged up.  I don't think there is enough batt drain to hurt much since the cam batts last a long time but I was wondering if the door Switch could have been momentarily "closed" for a flash refresh.  

This plan might even "RE-Boot" the cam if something happened but I never tried it because I didn't have a NC'd reed relay (normally closed contacts).

Was also wondering if the Cam (Owl PF) is put on "Force Flash", does it keep the flash refresh circuit "Refreshed" automatically.  Didnt' think of that till just now ???

See Ya

Tinhorn

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Those are some good questions Tinhorn and probably questions that can even be answered. I'm gonna mess around with it on Friday (NO WORK!) and see if i can find somethin.
I currently have a cam that seems to take a very long time(up to 7 seconds) to take a pic. The pir was resetting before the cam was taking pics. I had it out last week and got nothing on it. I tested it when I got there and the PIR was working but no pics. If i stayed in front of the PIR and moved a while 10 to 15 secs I would get a pic.
I have to say that even though the PF seems to be a better cam as far as flash distance goes, i've never - ever - had a problem with the older Owl with the little dial...

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom