How long should I wait ?

D Letho

Reaction score
   I have been hunting the same woods for about 8 years nows(deer). I never seen a turkey in the first 5 years of hunting it though. In the last 3 years I have been seeing alot of turkeys in the fields and in the woods. My question is how long should I wait to try taking up hunting them? I do not want to harm the number of them since I have only seen them in the last 3 years. Should I give them another couple of years to generate there numbers up higher ? Thanks !
                   Don

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Takeing a turkey or 2 each year wont hurt them,hens lay something like a dozen or more eggs each spring,after all her losses she could come out with half them in poults,so if you have a dozen hens and each have lets say 3-6(some loose all eggs) poults after predation ect.. then it dont take long for them to multiply into a big flock.IMO

FTTPOW

Reaction score
D Letho, I agree with Passthru on this one. If your state laws allow you to hunt turkeys in that area, go for it. If you've been seeing them for the past 3 years, there's probably lots more that you're not seeing. I doubt that taking a few from the flock will have much, if any, impact on them. They can reproduce quite proficiently once they establish themselves, as it appears they have. In the area I live in here in Ohio, they opened up the season statewide while they were still restocking birds in areas that had none. I know of several birds taken that first year, yet they continue to expand their numbers.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Passthru and FTTPOW. Taking a couple birds won't hurt the flock. Also keep in mind that it's a lot harder to harvest a turkey than you might expect. I hunted three years until I got my first one. I have talked to hunters who have hunted many more years without getting one. 'Tain't as easy as you might think.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom