How long till duck season?

Had to try one of those emoticons.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Too long, Jay.  Way too long.  

But the emoticon worked.

BigDog

Reaction score
Members of the Duckaholics club consoling each other.....
Was I suppose to hear something from the emoticon?

Marty

Reaction score
Doesn't the spring duck season start March 31st?
You know, the fantail duck.  Just be sure to shoot the drake with the beard.
No need to bring the waders.

TealMan

Reaction score
Does anybody besides me hear sprig in their heads?  Sometimes when I'm just sitting on the couch, I'll hear 'em.  The problem is that I live in San Jose, and there are no sprig there.  Man, duck season cannot come fast enough for me.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome everyone, glad you could make it in here to liven things up. It seems like I just fixed my leaking waders and suddenly the seson was over. Goose hunting was a dud this year for us here in SoCal, even the snows at Wister were tough sledding.

Welby

Reaction score
Duck season was a bust here in NE Mississippi.  All the ducks went south of us this year.

Speaking of fantail ducks, you gotta check some of ours for sure.  Some roost over water so much that you would expect them to have webbed feet.

robNhood

Reaction score
How long do you keep your cams out?

I know it varies with how close you live to where the cams are placed and the amount of critters around but I was wondering.

This is the first time I put my cams out in the summer and figured that the deer did not move as much.

I'm hoping that 9 days will give me some pics. If I don't get them next weekend, they will have to stay out an additional week. We have an above adverage number of deer, what do you think?

(Edited by robNhood at 9:57 am on Aug. 11, 2001)

wvhunter

Reaction score
I normally check my cam once a week.  But I am lucky enough to live only 15 miles from where I put my cam, so I don't have much travel time to check it.  I just take film, extra batteries and something to clean the lens and take off.  

gizz

Reaction score
Seems to take about 2 weeks to fill a roll. Of course sometimes it does not.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
38 miles to camera location. I've only done one roll and I couldn't stand to wait any more than 7 days. The next roll will be different. I swear I'm waiting 2 weeks. Although I am developing quite a nervous twitch....

Possum

Reaction score
I had mine on a feeder and got 16 during the first 7 days.  I think it depends on the area.  I am wondering if the camera will spook deer over time? any comments anyone?

Strutter

Reaction score
My first attempt yielded 22 pictures in 2 days.  2nd time it took about 9 days to get a roll.  Then had it out for 3 weeks and had 24 pics but lost roll due to rewinding problem.  Now it has been out for 7 days and I checked yesterday and had 15 on one and 16 on another.  I left them hanging and will get them tomorrow regardless of any more pics or not.  I have waited long enough.  It takes me about 30 min to get to my farm.

Strutter

Coal30

Reaction score
i CHECK MINE VERY DAY DO TO THE BEAR IN THE WOODS HERE IM ONLY 200 YARDS FROM MINE
MY OTHER ONE IS ABOUT 400 YARDS AWAY I GUESS IM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES LOL !!!!!!

gizz

Reaction score
Possum - The deer seem to get used to it and are not as nervous about it over time. One thing I've noticed is new trails out around my cam if I leave it in the same tree for a few weeks. So although they don't leave the area the would rather walk around than directly past the cam. Or so it seems.

bowbender

Reaction score
my first roll took about a week to get 18 pics and i couldnt stand it any more! film came out......got developed!
my second roll took 25 pics over night on a 24 exposure roll! bad news............all the same doe , had cam over corn!!!!!!! but i learned, wont do that again! i think she actually enjoyed posing!

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I like to use 12 exposure roll of 400 speed film.  When camera is 30 to 40 miles away I check once a week.  In the back yard I check every other day.  Over corn the film is used quickly.  On a trail it isn't used as much.  I found the 12 exposure rolls cost more in the long run, but I don't have to decide to leave the camera alone or to take out the film.  I just change the film and go.  I do use 24 exposures at times, but i can't stand the wait.

Buckoholic

Reaction score
My first and only roll was a very slow process. I checked it three times over the course of two weeks and finally took the film out on the 4th trip with only 16 pictures taken. I am sure the heat has had a lot to do with the lack of more pictures. I have decided to check at the end of each week until cooler weather sets in. I am not baiting my cam either. I put out 6 semi-rotten apples when I placed the camera originally and that was all. My uncle baits his Camtrakker with corn and he has tons of great raccoon shots. He goes through a roll of 24 in about 4-5 days. That would be a little too expensive for me for just raccoons

Rob

Reaction score
I just put my camera out for the second time, with dog food and got 24 in one night.  I put it out at 4pm and got it the next morning at 7am.  My spot is not shaddy and its almost 100degrees here.  I won't leave it out in the sun all day for fear of ruining the camera and film.

Top Bottom