How long

wvhunter

Reaction score
I built my first cam last April and it has been in the woods everyday since (except for a couple weeks repairing bear damage).  And was wondering how many of you leave a cam in the woods after the bucks drop their horns.

Happy Holidays!

gizz

Reaction score
I have mine out most of the time except during Deer Rifle season and Spring Gobbler. Too many people can accidently find a cam during that time. I get some of the best pics during the Spring/Early summer time. The Bear are really on the move then and lots of critter's are being born.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I just started building cam's this past summer. I probbly won't put them out again until Spring turkey season. I may just take them to Florida with me and put them out while I'm turkey hunting down there. Spring season here in NC start's in April.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I enjoy getting pix's of other aninmals besides Deer (and esp DOEs which is about all I get this time of year)

I keep at least some of my cam's out all year and am thrilled when I get a bobcat or other predator

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Found this pix on the internet somewhere, the trap wire was soldered down!

bonehead

Reaction score
Just wondering how long you all normally stay up in your  stands while huntn from day to day.

LadyHunter

Reaction score
I hunt in the morning only. Until about 10 am. My property is surrounded by two fields on the right and left which leaves an escape route thru the place. They come from across the road durning gun season. Bow season is different. Very hard to pattern, most of the activity is at night. This year I found more rubs on the place than any time before. The area I hunt is in the country but with alot of neighbors so the human activity influances the deer movement. So most of the deer movement is in early morning. I think I would see more deer if it weren't for the neighborhood dogs chasing the deer.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Ladyhunter,
 It kinda depends on my stand,i have one stand that funnels deer through every morning and every night,but the only way to hunt it is of the evening,i will try to get there 3-4 hours before dark and sit till dark,if im hunting a good morning stand ill be there before daylight and sit till noon but if its a real hot stand and the rut has them moving good,ill leave it only once to eat and take a short break and ill be back in it,sitting all day is extremely difficult,and i find it impossible for me to do personally.
 But to answer your ? about 4 hr settings always starting or ending in the dark.

Rob

Reaction score
Tinhorn, that is a cool picture!  What is it,some kind of weasel,urmin?
I usually put my camera out for small mammals, not deer.  With no bait and a lot of sign I would only leave my camera out for a week to week and a half.
The first few times I put out my camera it was were there were grey fox that I had called in before, I put out dog food and in one night I got 23 pictures another time got 25 pictures. Alot of time I put out the camera on relatives property while I'm visiting so the camera is only out for a night or 2.  without bait i'll get 0-25 pictures, usually 0-3 but when deer are there i've had them stay in front of camera and eat up film in 1 hour. The last time I used dog food and got 2 picture of the neighbors cat and 23 pictures of crows.  You just never know.  Another time I used bait and only got 3 pictures nothing,turkeys, and bobcat. It depends on how good or bad your spot is.

Gus

Reaction score
I was wondering how long it takes you guys to build a gamcam?  I have never done anything like this before and have been reading here and thinking about building one.  I have a cam that I bought, but would like to make one myself.

davered1

Reaction score
First one was built over one weekend. now I can build one in 2 hours.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 takes me longer because i have to always scrounge up parts.i always take my time though.

LW

Reaction score
First one was 6-8 hrs if you count coffee breaks, after you get templates cut and measurements taken it won't take long, it's a good weekend project.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I'm with Dave it was a weekend project on the first one and now about 2 to 3 hours.

Tominator

Reaction score
I had never soldered before and had an Owl AF and the ms20 wired in under 2 hours with 2 switches and an LED test light. Took an afternoon to scrounge up a suitable enclosure and about an hour and a half to fit the cam to it.
Tominator

Gus

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I think making a gamcam will be my next project to do.

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
First one was a weekend thing. Never soldered before in my life. After that I'd say it takes me ~12 hours to do one start to finish. Before I started the first cam, someone here mentioned that the biggest pain was modifying the box and not the wiring. I couldn't imagine, but now I can! I'll take wiring over box modifying any day!

Top Bottom