How many birds a year

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I know I am opening up the gates for "big fish" stories, but I was curious how many birds all of you get each spring.  I will consistently get one bird and sometimes two a year.  I have not got my season limit since they raised the limit to three.  I usually only hunt CA, and primarily with a bow.  Some years I work dozens of birds other years I am lucky if I work a half dozen...

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I have got 1-2 a year since the limit went up to 3. When it was 2 I use to get 2 big toms a year while calling in 18-25 toms a season. That public land spot has pretty much been a bust the last 3 years" Never take somebody to your spot you will be sorry'.I now have a private land spot where I work 10-12 toms a year calling in 5-6.

MBullism

Reaction score
Only been at it three years now.  Took two the first, one each the last two.  Our limit is two.  Man would love to have 10-12 to work every year...

M

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Shovelerslayer,  Here in Ohio they've allowed two birds for about 5 or 6 years, depending on what area of the state you hunt in.  They've just recently restocked birds in my area.  I travel half way across the state to hunt for maybe a total of 7-8 days a season.  I usually get one, but last year had my first 2 bird year.  There's more to it than harvesting a bird, although that's our goal.  Last year I was able to call in my son's first bird and later called one in for my buddy.  I was able to tape him getting his.  That was as good if not better than getting my own.  I called 9 in range altogether and we got 4.  I didn't do anything any differently than the year before.  Even though I filled one tag that year, for the most part I felt like I was invisible.  I could go anywhere and the turkeys couldn't see me or hear me.  Last year it just all came together.  I'm just hoping that this year I don't find out I've used up all my luck.  

PowDuck

Reaction score
Last year was my first year to harvest any birds at all. Got 2. That is the limit in the parts of Arkansas that I hunt. Been turkey hunting for 9 years, seriously for the last 4. So I guess my average is pretty low (close to 0). But always try for 2. If I could afford to go out of state and knew where to go it'd be more.

trkyhntr

Reaction score
Here in New York we are allowed 2, I also huntnPA. you're allowed 1. So i usually get 2-3 a year. I'm hoping to get to hunt West Virginia this year also.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
FTTPOW,

Calling in a bird for your son would be worth about six birds for yourself in my opinion.  Congratulations!!!  I agree that there is a lot more to it than getting the bird.  If I only went for the shooting I would have given up a long time ago.  Sometimes just sitting in the woods listening to the world wake up is as good as it can get...

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
1 bird almost every yr. sometimes 2,but the last season was a bust for me,maybe this yr.

ohhunter

Reaction score
Here in Ohio we get 4 weeks this year it was 3 up till now . me and my dad try to hunt about 3 days a week were allowed two birds each so we try to fill our tags. we been lucky so far .

haftahunt

Reaction score
I usually average 2 a year hunting in Kansas and Oklahoma. I have been able to limit out in both places once, but that was due to the skill of a hunting buddie

Mailman

Reaction score
I lived in Pa for too many years (29) of 1 bird per year and had to go to MD to get 2 a year.I moved to SC this year,(5 per year) will hunt GA (3 per yr) and will travel to PA(1) and MD(2),so I hope my #'s will increase this year.30 full days of spring hunting and some more mornings and afternoons should put me up there.  

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I have been at it for 5 seasons....

Seasons 1-2= 0 birds, all I got was poison oak and tick bites.

Seasons 3-5= 9 birds (3 a year)

I am getting better, but the main thing was finding quality places to hunt.  A great caller in a bad spot wont kill a bird.  An OK caller in a great spot has a chance.  I am not an expert, but I do a lot of scouting and every spring there are a least birds around, so I've got a chance.

Tominator

Reaction score
As stated by my buddy Mailman, we get 5 in SC and I got 4 my first year hunting, then 3 the next and 1 last year. I did manage to call in a first bird for three of my buds, 1 each year.
Mailman, you gonna be off the 23rd? if so, do you want to go down to the lease and check it out, I'll show you the WMA near there as well.
Tominator

Possum

Reaction score
If you guys keep this up, I'm going to show up and hunt with you.LOL  I usually get between 3 and 4.  Never have limited out in 12yrs.  I always mess up the last bird.  Last year I had 4 and called the big one in the last day and he came in dead behind me at 4yds.  Couldn't resist a peek and the rest is history. Oh well, numbers aren't everything.  I see turkey hunting kind of like hockey - if you call one in for other people it counts as an assist and you get a point!  Those birds called in for the other first-timers mean a lot more to me than the ones I squeeze on (even though they usually don't understand what they got when they get it)...

maytom

Reaction score
I've been lucky and have been getting 1-2 birds almost each year here in NY as well. Last spring was my first time hunting PA and we heard many toms but they were henned up and didn't want to play!! I'll be giving PA another try this spring as well, so hopefully I can luck out and end up with three toms this comming spring season!!

Mailman

Reaction score
tominator,won't the season be in already in GA.I believe it starts the 22nd.I plan on scouting down there one of the next two sundays in Ga.I only have three sundays left till GA comes in and will be at Darlington one sunday at the race.I'll be heading down there anyday I have off till SC comes in.I SHOULd have friday off next week also.I'll be in touch.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
We get ONE here in PA. I talked to my old high school buddy Matt Morrett, of H.S.Strut Inc., he shot 25 gobblers last year, that was all across the country of course. But then again...turkey hunting is his job!!

FTTPOW

Reaction score
It must be awful to have a job like that!  What would you do for vacation?

Spit n Drum

Reaction score
It really just depends on how much i get to hunt.  Limit is 3 in Mississippi, 2 in Louisiana,  and I usually get a bird on my michigan trip every year.   I would say i usually average 3-5 birds a year.  Most I have killed in one season was 6.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom