How many cams How many timers?

Rooter

Reaction score
Just curious.  How many cams do each of you have and how many of them have timers?

Dbworld

Reaction score
6 cams, zero timers. So far I haven't seen much need for one. Only once have I burned a whole roll of film really quick.    I fear having a timer I'd miss a good deer.  And with the ms20 I can set the switch to auto and get a approx 2 minute timer.  

Some day I might put at least one in though...just to see how it's done.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
2 cams 1 Joe D timer in place, one being built right now. Wish I would have started with at least a 15 sec delay. I have a few photos that look like a movie when you flip them. I would say most of the time you don't need a timer.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have one of every model I have made over the years which brings the total up to about 7 models.  Out of these models I have six 35MM, four 24MM(Canon Elph LT), five digital (four AOL and one Canon Elph) and two video camera systems.  All of them have some kind of timing built in.  

One model has radio control on it so you can separate the camera from the infrared sensor and put the camera up in a tree and take pictures from above.  The flash is the problem with this one.  I had to put a three second delay for the extra flash unit to help the night pictures.  I will probably disassemble this one and use the Radio control on something else.

Needless to say the only ones I have been using lately are the digitals.  It gets expensive using the other film cameras.  By the end of this year I will probably only have the digitals left.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I've built over 20 cameras and all have two stage timers.  I think it cuts down on false alarms as well as too many pix's of one animal.

I had my 1st cam setting on the porch by me, waiting for a "Yard" rabbit to hop by.  The cam ripped off about a half dozen pix's of something as I set there in the dark, all one after another.  I had a timer on it right away after that.

Tinhorn

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I have four. Three with no timers and one with a timer. All are 35mm and currently building a digital. The ones without timers I use on trails and the one with a timer I use on one of my food plots. I ordered one of Brian's timers that I am going to put on another cam I have for a new food plot I just got finished with.LOL

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 11:26 am on Feb. 20, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
9 "personal use" cams at last count - though so many are out on 'loan', I'm not sure how many are actually left :(
They all have timers of some sort - I'd feel like I cheated myself without one.

Archilochus

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I've got 2 cams, both with timers.  1 homebrew and 1 hybrid homebrew/Camtrakker.   And guess what, I'm still waiting for my first rolls of film to be used up since being built/repaired.  That's fine, I only need one pic of each critter.

wfontjr

Reaction score
i have built 10 for friends without timers, my dad has one "borrowed" without a timer, i have one with a one shot timer, i have one video camera with 1.25 minute record and the ms20 timer for stopping repeats

Possum

Reaction score
3 cams - 3 timers.   I wouldn't build one without it.  Here in the South we have friendly deer syo hang around a looong time in front of the camera.

Steiner

Reaction score
Brian,
Of the two different digital units that you have (AOL and Elph) which one do you like best and why?  Thanks....

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Steiner,

I like the Elph the best.  IT takes better pictures and it is easier to use.  The battery for the elph is small too and lasts a long time.  It can use large Compact Flash Cards for more picture taking capability too.   The AOL is limited and can be a pain to deal with.  The box I use makes it easy to hide and its small enough to carry a long ways in the woods if need be.

I have a new digital camera on the way to test but I haven't got it yet.  Yashica EZ Digital.  Several people have asked me about the Yashica digitals so I bought one to see if it will work.

TmKarren

Reaction score
I have one that I finished a couple months ago.  I updated it.  Going to do the same with the other box that I'm building.  I use the ms-20 PIR.  It came with two timers.  I added a third where the timer for the night sensor went.  I set that for 10 min. for over bait.  I reset the others from 5 sec. to 15 sec.,  2 min. to 1 min.  When I'm going to use it over bait.  I'll stick the Olympic JR. in there so the time delay will not shut it down.  I figure It's on a bait so I won't need a refresh.  That saved me I'd say at least $20.  $20 x 2 (game cameras) is almost another owl PF, or is one on sale.  That's alright.
Oh!  Moved up also.  Kiss the ring!!
Tee Hee Hee

(Edited by TmKarren at 10:57 am on Feb. 23, 2002)

upnorthunter

Inactive
Reaction score
Brian,  How much do you figure it cost you to build the digital.  And, do you have to have a refresh timer to keep the camera active?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
upnorthhunter,

The cost always depends on the camera.  The Elph runs about $250 to $400 so add that to your normal cost of a sensor and my chip with the needed parts.  If you got the camera for $300 you could probably build one for about $400 to $500 depending on whether you bought extra Compact Flash memory and an extra battery and an external flash unit.  So it is hard to say exactly how much until you get specific on features.  I have a EZ digital coming that I bought for $100 bucks so that cost if the camera works will be reduced significantly.

NO refresh is needed with a digital because I turn it off after each picture to conserve power and by the time it powers up again the flash is ready.  The delay until it powers up and can take a picture makes it hard to use on a trail.  I am working on solving that too.

If you use it over feeders or scrapes or food plots they work great.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom