how many lion have you seen out and about

lxtrail

Reaction score
saw that this was brought up in another thread and thought i would see how many of you out in the field, driving, fishing whatever have actually seen mountain kitties, in there cute glory. me personnally i have seen three and they were all up north of bridgeport and they were 3 different lion within 7 miles of each other. two driving one on the marine base and another near sonora pass and fishing the west walker river. I know they see us more than we see them so lets hear your accounts

buckfever07

Reaction score
I've been hunting and fishing southern California for over 25 years and i still haven't seen one yet.

barel74

Reaction score
I've seen maybe 6, over the years. I know some people in the area, who work/live on big ranches that see up to 5 a year.

lxtrail

Reaction score
i forgot about the 2 back in high school that we treed, up near tehachapi, back when i could run all over mountains all day long. it was on the 25K acre ranch i worked on. good times

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
My soon to be ex wife had to stop in the road about a mile from our house as FOUR of them crossed in front of her in broad daylight. I kept a closer eye on my kids playing in the yard after that.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I was on a 7 day Mule deer hunt in ID back in '98. Saw 6, yes 6, lions on that hunt! Even had a BIG cat fight in the dark timber below me one morning. Very scary

2rocky

Reaction score
Saw a cougar chasing a coyote in North Idaho in 1993. Only one I've seen in the wilds.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I've seen three so far, all here in CA. One in Coalinga, one in "Kokopelli Valley", and one in Sonoma.

Heard one yowling (in heat, I think) up in Tehama also, but never could get a look at it.

Got plenty of tracks here in Garin Park (Hayward), but haven't been able to get an eyeball on the critter yet. Probably the same one that came down in Mission Peak and got on TV last year.

DanV

Reaction score
Saw one by French Meadows reservoir 1988 , one at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley as a teenager in the late 60's . Have to think about recent history , two in A-zone off of Hwy 20 and lots and lots of sign in my stomping grounds off of highways 16 and 20 .

brut

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen 4 in Utah one of which was eating my deer, 3 in Colorado, 7 on the Angeles.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Three in all my years in AZ. Two in the Kaibab over the years (one was following me at distance of a couple hundred yards for approximately one hour, but kept it's distance). The other was on a rocky ledge over looking a dry wash bed as we scouted for javelina in southern AZ. I believe the cat was looking for the same thing we were.

AZ Jim

Common Sense

Reaction score
Haven't seen one in the last three or four years. 36 years ago on our honeymoon, the wife and I startled one down by the creek below the cabin(though the wife was very startled too). Over the years I've seen 20 or so, mostly in D8. Only shot at one of them, the first one I saw!

Almost 50 years ago. My dad and grandfather left me in the car while they chased a covey of quail. They spooked a mama lion with some cubs into my view. Though dad told me not to touch it, I grabbed the single shot .22. Could only find one shell, and gut shot the cat. Dad heard the shot and came running back to the car. You could hear the cat thrashing around in the brush, and I asked him for another shell so I could finish off the lion. Dad told me only a fool would chase a wounded lion in heavy cover, and told me only a fool would not listen to his directions about not touching the rifle. I only remember one spanking that was worse than that one, and it was a long time before I got to shoot the rifle again.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I know that you all will find this hard to beleave, the guides and my self have seen 18 in the past year and a half! Mostly in May, June, July and Aug. Ike was with us in Sep last year and we witnessed the cry of a deer. We panned our binoculars in the direction and found the lion with his paw on a fawns back holding the little deer down. The other deer surrounded the lion and fawn. The lion would lift his paw and let the fawn start to run and reach out and grab it and bring it back. This went on for a couple of minutes, then the lion rolled down the hill with the fawn and grabed it in it's mouth and took it under a mequite tree, there were no more screams from the fawn. It was moving to say the least! Hatchet was with us in November when a lion was circling me at about 20 yards, chirping before sunup. Matt and Robert were up the hill from me and were in radio contact. They made me feel really good when they said "Bro, that lion sounds really close to you." I have contacted many lion hunters, but the terran is just too rough for the horses and dogs. I have also contacted the AZGFD about the problem. The problem seems to be that 18 lions in an area is unrealistic and they have a hard time beleaving it. But when there are 7 guides in the field each spending over 200 days a year out there, I think they will have a better chance of seeing lions then just 1 biologist does. Anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
rico, im buying your story, I WAS THERE!!, robert and myself also glassed that one up in the rocks chasing
that coues buck!! sure was great to see the buck put the moves on the cat, the cat tried to go up the cliff after him
and went arse over tea kettle down the cliff!! chalk one up for the old coues buck,tough little critters!!next year im
packin a tag in my pocket

Sodhunter

Reaction score
Saw one in San Bernadino forest and also had two different sized lion tracks 100 feet from our campsite dig up dove dove guts. Saw one cross the road in front of me on Hwy2 dropping into LaCanada heading for the houses. Had one charge to within ten feet of me a couple hundred yards from houses walking into Angeles forest one morning. Saw four or five others in Angeles forest farther in.

jlostrander

Reaction score
I don't get out enough to see them in the car. Plus I am not quiet enough once I am out.

However, I have had lion tracks in my tracks four seperate times. Twice in Colorado and twice in San Bernardino national forrest.

It is a strange feeling when you walked one way and on the way back, you see the lion prints in your boot prints. Makes you think.

I know it is difficult to believe, but my dad saw one in the road in front of him out in the desert. Difficult to believe because it was approx. on the edge of the bombing range sort of next to fort irwin. In my opinion, there are more sheep in that general area than deer. And there aren't many sheep. But, he was riding with someone and they both swear it was a lion.

I know people on this web site go round and round on this lion issue. But, there are a huge number of lions in California. When I say huge, I don't mean huge in say numbers like morning doves. I am talking huge in lion population terms. When there are lions in the desert, like in apple valley and other desert locations. There are a good number of them.

hawken

Reaction score
ive seen 5. all in D3. a year, after having an internal defibrillator implanted in my chest i was hunting alone[i was told to stay by the jeep,but didnt] near Haypress Meadows. i climbed a small knoll and looked down the backside and saw an adult lion and maybe a one year old cub coming up the other side. i backed off and not knowing if they saw my movement tried to walk fast back to my jeep,. always looking back over my shoulder. sure enough my defibrillator fired off 3 times and down i went, like a terd from a tall cows butt. i lie there on the ground trying to weather the effects of the shocks and i managed to get 3 shots off with my 357 pistol to let my brother know that i was in trouble and to hopefully scare the cats away, if indeed they had seen my movement and got curious. the pistol shots worked as i didnt see the cats and my brother found me about 30 minutes later. needless to say big brother chewed my butt out for wandering away from the jeep. now iam always with someone nearby, but not in my hip pocket. i still like hunting alone the best i can. the wife still hasnt heard about that trip. hawken semper fi

rajnerb

Reaction score
I've seen 2 in the past 5 years in the b-zone. Couple years ago I was walking down into a canyon on a pretty good trail. It was about 4:30 am and as dark as could be. I'm very familiar with the trail and stopped at a spot aways down only to hear a lion growling about 30 yards up the hill from where I just walked past. It snarled for about a minute. Every hair on my body was at attention. I could not see 10' in front of me. Needless to say I pulled pistol to one hand and knife to the other, hoping that I wouldn't have to use them. Probably the best scare I've had in 25+ years of hunting. Only later could I figure that this cat was just off trail to ambush a deer or varmint and when I passed it figured out I wasn't his natural dinner course and he let me know he was there because he probably didn't want anything to do with me either. Thought I' d share.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom