How many of you use scopes ?

freakin54

Reaction score
How many of you use scopes? I am setting up a rifle for coyote and small game , I bevelive my eyesight is still good enough to shoot open sights to 100 yards but if there are a fair number of shots beyond a 100 yards I will scope the rifle.
Thanks

andrew

Reaction score
I would venture to say that a scope may be a good idea.............you know, in case any of them varmints decide to wander outta the 100 yard mark

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Depends on my rifle.  The .223 and .25-06 both have scopes.  The 10/22 has a peep site.  A lever action .22rf has a scope.  Of course neither the M1 nor the M1Carbine have scopes.  I'll match the rifle to the game.

trkyhntr

Reaction score
I have scopes on my 10/22, my .223 and my .243. I think it's a good idea to have them for them long shots.

Brad

Reaction score
I have scopes on everything . Woke up one day and realised that old age caught up with me!*L*can't focus on front and rear site . even ware glasses now . maybe I'll have the lazer stuff done to the eyes someday.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I'm at the tri-focal age now, so everything that is set to shoot beyond 50 yards has to have a scope -- i can't even keep the rear and front sights on a pistol in focus anymore.  Matter of fact, I just took out my new 20x-60x spotting scope for a test run yesterday in the local foothills, parked on the side of the road.  I needed to keep my regular glasses on a lanyard, my 10x25 compacts binocs on a lanyard, and let both hang as I manipulated the spotter.  But it paid off for my old eyes.  I was able to track a pair of coyotes from a mile away, from the moment they left their den in a large rock pile in open, hilly, grass land.  They kept working their way down hill doing all kinds of silly things, especially the male, unrinating on every outcropped rock and scratching it in with his hind legs just like a dog.  It was cool watching them hunt rodent with their ears and nose, more than with their eyes.  They would sniff the rodent hole, perk up those ears, and as it moved under the turf, they cut it off, dug it up, and ate it alive, holding it up high -- caught the whole thing through the spotter at about 1/2 mile at that point.  Ahh, if it only wasn't private property, and if I only had my 22-250 pistol with me!  I'm glad there weren't any PETA folks around to see it, or they would be trying to eradicate coyotes now for cruelty to rodents!

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
About ten years ago I lost the sight in my right eye due to an industral accident.  Being right handed, I shot all my rifles as such. Learning to shoot left handed  was a pain to say the least but one good thing came out of the ordeal. I now set my rifles up with Weaver see through scope mounts. With these extra high mounts, I can now shoot using a scope right handed or use the scope and iron sights left handed. Being able to quickly switch the rifle for left to right or right to left hand shots has allowed me to take coyotes that would otherwise not  been possible.
Just another idea,
coyotehunter  

Top Bottom