how many pillow cases?

.300Savage

Reaction score
So im headed to B4 this year due to some scheduling conflicts with all but opening weekend of general b-zones so I figure my chances of filling my bear tag this year are probably better then ever. so how many pillow cases do i need to pack out the monster boar im gunna shoot? and when i fold up the cape do i fold the fur in or out?

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
Better to have too many than not enough. I've packed out elk in five good sized pillow cases. one each for the quarters and one more for back staps, tenderloins,neck meat and other misc. pieces. not too sure on rolling up the cape, the tanner or the taxidermist will clean it up for you thats their job. can't help getting that grease all over.

barel74

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I folded cape in half, hair out, then rolled it up, tied it to my pack. Then put it in a garbage bag(to keep it dry) in the ice chest. Taxidermist said it came out fine. I think the meat would've fit into 3 normal pillow cases.

.300Savage

Reaction score
barel are you talken about the brute in your avatar? what was the weight on that toad if you know that is?

CATManReid

Reaction score
Both bears that I've shot in the last two years, I've folded the hide skin to skin, and didn't have any problems. But, with that being said, I was able to freeze my hides within hours of cleaning the bear. Not sure how long I'd go without completely freezing it so the sooner the better for the furs sake.

.300Savage

Reaction score
it'll more than probly be at leats a day but, we'll see. i do have one of those extra giant 3 dead body sized ice chests so as long as we don't have to pack that far in i will probly take the meat/cape right to the truck.

CATManReid

Reaction score
I guess if you aren't able to freeze it keeping it cool would be a plus. Dry ice does wonders for those situations. My advice if you can't freeze it would be to keep it DRY and cool. Good luck!

.300Savage

Reaction score
yeah im thinken ill probly fill my extra giant cooler with dry ice and put like a piece of ply wood or something to keep the meat/fur from actually touching the dry ice. does that sound like it would work or am i over complicating things?

barel74

Reaction score
barel are you talken about the brute in your avatar? what was the weight on that toad if you know that is?
yup. didn't get to weigh him, boned him out, in the field(but didn't use pillow cases). If I had to guess, I'd say 400lbs+.

CATManReid

Reaction score
Sounds like it should work. Dry ice alone would be sufficient, seeing as though it just evaporates and doesn't melt. If you were using regular ice, you might try to keep it dry using plain old trash bags filled with ice. Just an idea.

Jagermeister

Reaction score
3 pillow cases will be enough for anything you encounter. 1 for the head and hide. Fold it skin in to keep it clean. When you get to camp, if it is cool, take the hide out and hang it for it to cool down and dry a little. This helps preserve it. Then back into the cooler the next morning and into the freezer as soon as you get home. If you plan on being out more than 2 days with the hide, consider fleshing and salting it (big job but can be done if you are in camp while others are still hunting).

George

.300Savage

Reaction score
yeah ill be out 9 days so depending what day it is when i find my bear ill make my plan based on that but i capped a bear for one of my partners a couple seasons ago so i have a pretty good idea of what to do. and i watched a whole youtube series on trophy prep just incase

Last edited:

Jagermeister

Reaction score
Sounds good. 9 days I'd worry about the meat if you get something the first day, even if you had a good cooler.

George

.300Savage

Reaction score
well if i get something real early in the trip ill probly write off the rest of the day or part of the next day to butcher it then take it into town (our property is only about an hour from town) i know a few people who i could probly talk out of some freezer space

Top Bottom