How many trail cams

wvhunter

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of these homebrew trail cams have been built and what pir, cam, and if you used a timer.

I have built 1 using RS PIR, OWL PF camera and no timer, box was a metal first aid kit.

robNhood

Reaction score
I have built 5 so far. All have the MS20 pir. 2 have Owl PF dates, 2 have Owl AF's, 1 has Owl PF (no date stamp).

I am thinking about trying the RS pir but haven't yet.

gizz

Reaction score
9 - 2 Owl AF's, 7 Owl PF's (all date models), MS20's on all, Marty's timer board (so cam doesn't shut down), PVC boxes from Lowes, 12V 1.2Amp Gel Cell's.
10th one on the bench used for testing new things and in case one of the other's go bad.

K

KsBowhunter2

2 and 1 in the works, 1 Owl AF, 2 PF, all use MS-20 and 12 vdc gel cells, but going to a 6 vdc gell for the third one. I found  a bunch of the 6's. at the local Batteries Plus for $10.
I used an 8 x 6 x 3 RS hobby box for one of the cams and 6 x 4 x 3 for the other.
Gizz,
What size boxes are your cams in? I found 6 x 6 x 6 Square D boxes for less than $15 at Home Depot, but don't want one that deep for the next cam. I'm kind of worried about how waterproof the RS boxes will turn out to be.

gizz

Reaction score
Ksbowhunter - I use 6x6x4 from Lowe's(About $11). They have a gasket for sealing although it wears out very quickly. I'll have to make some out of an old intertube or something.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
1 &  1 on the work bench ;). It has the Owl PF,MS20,no timer, and 2 9v for power.

Data

Reaction score
I have one DataCam with RS sensor and Owl PF in a lowes junction box. My next enclosure will need to have a hinge. The junction box works good but fooling with the screws is a pain.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
One done, one on the bench,  atleast one more to be made by September as a gift for my guied in Maine.  That one will need a metal box.  

I'm using the Owl PF, RS PIR and PVC junction box.  This next one will be made using the cover of the junction box as the back, this way there are no wires, etc attatched to the cover.

Todd

jayber

Reaction score
Finished my first trail cam last weekend.  Using a RS PIR, Owl PF Date, no timer, in PVC box, 9V Lithium battery.  Second one is in the works and looking for improvements, possibly a timer.

K

KMILLER

Cam number one is still on the bench as finishing touches are made to the enclosure. Components: Owl PF (grabbed a non-date one by mistake, noticed after soldering the wires, duh!), RS PIR, no timer, small 3"deep ammo can. I did the wiring before before deciding on the enclosure, so the insides are going to look like a birds nest with all the extra wire. My concern was cutting the ammo can, but it turns out to be just 22 ga metal and cut easy enough with a saber saw. I will be mounting the front half of the PIR to the outside of the can with JB Weld and the LED will be mounted on a flange of metal behind the frensel lens.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
i have 6 complete  2w/rs pir and 4/ms20  and i have 6 more waiting to be wired i have been using the owl date af and the owl bf -no date, and the owl pfw/date  man its amazing  how many people want one of these things when you tell them you can make them  ihave one guy wanting me to make him 8 of them.

Nino

Reaction score
Howdy fellas

I have one wired using Owl PF and RS PIR.  Just need to put it in an enclosure when I get the time.  I have a monster buck and a piebald waiting to say cheese.  This is too addictive, I hate you guys :)  Found you guys over at tndeer and I'm hooked on this stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  Almost striper season here on the Chesapeake bay!!!!  Plan on giving turkey hunting a go for the first time this year too.

Nino

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
one so far and another in the works.. I put mine out about 2 weeks ago but have not been back to check it, I did have 6 pics on it from just leaving it out over night so I left it alone to pick up later. I used the 12volt system, the pir ms 20, the 9 volt radio shack relay and a solinoid from jameco, the canon sure shot date pf, and a gel cell battery 5amp/hr.

apittet

Reaction score
I am building systems mostly for researchers here in India and till now I have done:

- 76 systems with PREMIER 35 mm roll cameras
- 24 systems with Olympus D-380 for digital pictures
- 2 systems with Sony DSC-P32 for mini video

all these with my own control boards

1 video system using a Sony camcorder and Pixcontroller LE board

and on the bench one Olympus D-360 to be my first IR using Pixcontroller Universal Board

So, about 100 systems built till now and about 70 of them in the field at this hour.

Cheers
Andre

GPo

Reaction score
Now there's a post from the past.
Amaizing what we were biuilding back in 2001.

GPo

stony-man

Reaction score
Man, I STILL haven't built one yet...just don't have the $$...someday...soon, I hope. This forum is going to be a LOT of help when I do start in on one.

TazBux

Reaction score
(First)Well i found an old alarm sensor,Riged it to my Canon sureshot zoom60,then sat it in a ammo box.Out of the three films i have had developed only 9pics came out.3x24@$14.95

(Second) I rigged the hole lot into an old water proof lunch box.To minimize sensor view/false triggers.

apittet

Reaction score
Indeed, Dupont got us back from to the future !

I thought it could be fun to see where we are now, 5 years down the trails ...

Anyone else to add to the stats?

Cheers to all

Andre

Top Bottom