• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

How much should a T/C Contender 10" .357 barrel sell for?

TheGDog

How much should a T/C Contender 10" .357 barrel sell for? Got one given to me. Not sure that I want to go out and buy a Contender pistol just because.

Where's Bruce?

Around $200-$240 depending on whether is blued or SS and vented rib. Sweet fun guns, sorry i gave up my 45-70 Govt model.

inchr48

I have 3 frames and 5 barrels (including a 50 cal muzzleloader). Check Gunbroker for going prices.

TheGDog

So... approx. how much would it cost to buy the rest of the pistol then? (It's just the barrel, no foreend stock either).

Geez... trying to imagine shooting a .45-70 as a pistol... wouldn't that be pretty harsh on your hand? Like how many shots at a range session were you able to do before you tapped-out?

TheGDog

Oh... and for a Contender like the one in Bruce's picture... how do you mount an optic to it? (My nearfield Vision has become pretty sucky in the last 3 years :( )

quaildeath

Problems 2-300 for the rest of the pistol.
You take the rear sight off and have your mounting holes for a scope bases. If that is a no go, you get the barrel drilled and tapped, but usually the former is how it works.
The shell doesn't eject. You remove by hand. Reloaders dream....fire formed brass.

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Had a 45-70 contender like the one Bruce posted, except we had a scope on it. Also got rid of it. I will say that one of the reasons that we got rid of it was that the eye relief that the scope had was not long enough to safely fire that thing without fear of smacking yourself in the head. In fact 3 different people that shot it did just that. Thinking back should of kept the gun and gotten a different scope for it. Long time ago but I think you pulled the shell.

Where's Bruce?

I wore leather-padded biking glove when shooting it to protect my palms. It would blow a huge blue flame out the front and made everyone at the range stop and look to see WTH was just fired. Offered it to a Marine to try and he declined, "NO THANKS!" LOL You know these can be converted to rifles too right?

Last edited:

TheGDog

My only thing is I'm more than a little leary of going hunting with a single-shot. But... I suppose as long as I also took it upon myself to bring a backup gun as well it should be ok. I dunno... I just get wierded out at the thought of a single shot when I'm out there solo. Those 7 MtnLions in one spot that one night has opened my eyes to the very real dangers out there.

jackrabbit

I still got a TC Encore chambered in 3006. Bought it for target fun and backpacking in fishing season. First time at the range my thumb base could not take any more pounding after 8 shots! But folks were impressed at how high the recoil kicked it back and high over my head -- always shoot it with bent elbows!! Shots were on the mark. My son kept chuckling and finally told me the recoil was rocking me back off the bench stool and just before he was sure I was going to fall off backwards, the stool skipped back a couple inches and then no fall. I would expect a 357 would be easier to handle, but still a very specialized item. For a serious hunter wanting a great single shot hunting pistol, the TC's are great. But I'll take a strong revolver or semi-auto any day as a secondary hunting firearm. Just my taste. I only weigh 140 now, so target shooting recoil can be a blast. But hunting and self defense are different matters. Enjoy what you got and what you want.

Top Bottom