Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 hours per night

• 9 or more hours per night

• Total voters

Common Sense

Reaction score
Use to be, fours hours of shut eye was more than enough. The older I get, the more I need. I need about six hours per night to feel good. Makes me wonder how much I'll sleep if I make it to 70 or 80!

DanV

Reaction score
Six good hours of sleep works , 8 would be better but I have a screwed up back of 25 years and after 8 hours I'm real stiff and don't move so well for a few hours .

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Well it would depend on why I would be staying awake. If it is the Mrs. keeping me up, then I would need very little or no sleep.
But I would say on the average 5 or 6 for me. I wake up at the same time everyday anyway, work or not. Just habit I guess.

S&P

Reaction score
Gotta have my 8 hours or I'm a force to fear.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I can go with little sleep for few days taking some power naps during the day but to function properly I need at least 7 Hrs of sleep...like Cold said, I wake up early work or not.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I can get by on six, I prefer seven or eight.

I'm an insomniac, so I can function on two or three if I have to do that. I don't like it though.

GSG

arizona hunter

Reaction score
8 is best although it seems I often only get 7. If I have too many 7's I usually take a 1-2 hour nap on the weekend.

Drayton

Reaction score
6hrs is good.

I'm up before 6 AM without an alarm.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I can function on less, but 7 is good. When I get less than that, I'm dangerous driving as I get sleepy and can't shake myself out of it until I'm looking down the length of my nose at the rear end of an 18 wheeler approaching at 20 MPH.

Mrs. BelchFire gets up at 4 AM regardless.
Sorry, Coach. You've got the wrong man.

jim in illinois

Reaction score
I work 24 on 48 off and much of the 24 is interrupted, if I get bout 5 or 6 hrs in 24 I'm doing pretty good. Downtime on the 48 I usually get a good 2-3 hr nap in the afternoons

chapgirl48

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Gotta have my 8 hours or I'm a force to fear.[/b]
Yep, that's me too. And If I don't eat at regular times....I'm more of a beast!

Gotta have my sleep and eat!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I average 5-6 but is in stages, get 8 on weekends as I got less to keep my up late, but during the week I bounce around from 3hrs to 6 or so.

I can fall asleep anywhere, military and good genes I reckon, so I can get 6hrs if I get in bed 6hrs and 5mins before I have to get up. My wife is in bed for 10hrs a night and gets probaly max 7 hrs.

I wonder how she expects not to annoy me sometimes if she keeps herself up so much at night. Don't tell the wife I said that.

D3Lifer

Reaction score
There are days when I would like to get 12 hours, but in reality I usually go 5-6 hours a night. If I do sleep much more than that, I seem to be more stiff and tired when I wake. Life is too short to give more than 25% to sleep anyway. We'll all have plenty of time to catch up on it when we are dead.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I work 24x7 with 12 hr rotating shifts. I go to work for 2 days @ 5:30am-6:00pm then off for 2 days. Next time in is 5:30pm-6:00am for 3 days, off 2 and back in @ 5:30am-6:00pm for 2 days, then off 3 days. Start all over again.
I'm tired all the time and hate everything about it except for the days off. You never feel like your week's over and that you're owned 24x7. It's for young kids, not me.
It's a good thing that I enjoy the people I work with, I see them as much as I see family and friends. Social life is on hold.
Fortunately there's occations to take an offline role that keeps you on 5x8's for 3 years, then it's back to rotation again.

Gomer76825

Reaction score
FTTPOW I feel your pain, although schedule isn't exactly the same, close enough. As for how much sleep I need, apparently not very much. Between the job and having a youngun at home 5-6 is a luxury not very often experienced at my house.

PowDuck

Reaction score
Wanted to select 6-7 but it wasn't available. A lot depends on WHEN the sleep is. The REM cycle sleep is important. Typically that is between 10 and midnight. These 2 hours of sleep are worth 4 hours outside the REM cycle. In other words: 6 hours of sleep between 10PM and 4AM is much better for you than midnight to 6AM.

I'm usually a 9:30 to 4:30 and get up at 5 guy. Like many of you above I'm up early, work day or not.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
To be at my best I need about 8. Throughout school I would often have to get by on 2-4.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom