How much time looking for a match?

Bankrunner

Found another fresh shed today this one was in the sierra nevada foothills, a 4x, one fork was a little crabby and it has about a 1" eye guard. It's a nice shed but any fresh shed for me is a nice find.
I looked for the match for about 2 hrs. I did circles out to about 40 yds and then did grid patterns out to about 300 yds from where i found the shed.
I don't know how many guys hunt sheds on this forum this thread doesn't get many hits but i thought i'd ask the question..... how much time do you spend looking for a match. I know that's a loaded question because if you found a monster shed you would put in more effort than if it was a spike or a fork. So let's say you found a decent shed and the grass was as about 8" tall...how long would you look for the match and how far out from where you found the shed would you look?

Bankrunner

Maybe someone else found the other. Still can’t post pics?
Someone else finding the match didn't cross my mind but that could have happened, not to mention it could have been a unicorn. What helped me keep looking was the potential of finding the match and if one buck dropped an antler maybe there would be more.
In regards to your question, yes!

Brnsvllyjohn

Once the bucks stop chasing does they seem to hang around our area a lot. I have never found a shed on an area of about 30 acres. I have no idea where they actually drop their horns. I will see a buck with horns one week then no horns a week later. I don't think they bed very often on my property or the neighbors, they just eat all the flowers.

OPAH

Don't think they both fall off at the same time and place do they ? could one have fell off the day before or after miles away ?
Just my Non-educated Shed hunter openion.

Bankrunner

I've only found three match sets and they were close, but it's rare (at least for me) to find the match.
Don't know if it's true or not but i've heard once one drops some bucks feel like something's not right up there and will shake their head making the other one drop.

TheGDog

So you guys use the sheds you find for rattling-in the next season? I'd love to find two decent ones for that purpose.

JustGuy

Banned
I have a couple of dosens lie around garage, storage and backyard, but they mostly not sheds, they are saw-offs of the deer i harvested and kept after the season per the regs. After a while they got used to the environment and decided to stay.
I do not have heart to evict them, so slowly but surely they take over my property. Some of them i had to pin to the walls to prevent coup.

:thread jacked:

Last edited:

Bankrunner

So you guys use the sheds you find for rattling-in the next season? I'd love to find two decent ones for that purpose.
I don't but know there are guys out that do use em for rattling. They are hard to find but if you spend enough time looking in areas where deer are at this time of year you'll find em. You can also get real antlers and imitation rattlers online.

Top Bottom