How old were you?

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
Me, I was 13 when I dropped my first Deer.

Dropped a 5 point with my .410 and a slug. Had hunted alot with my Dad prior to then-- mainly squireel and dove.  The big day I was going back in woods behind house to do some squirrel hunting.. took a couple slugs "just in case".. got back along edge of swamp to a big trail they always walk to to get to the water... Heard something coming.. I hid behind a big ole Pine tree and dropped in a slug.  The wind was in my face so he walked towards me.. When he was about 20 yards away he turned broadside. The sound of my heart about to beat thru my chest is probably what made him turn.  I caught him just behind the shoulder.. He ran about 15 yards and dropped.  I was so nervous it took me 5 min to realize that I had actually hit him.  I had carried my book bag with me to carry the squirells back in... Luckly I had put my hatchet and some rope in it.. Cut down some sapplings and made a sling to drag him out on.. (Thank you BoyScouts)... Needless to say my Dad bout pee'd himself when he saw me dragging a sling out of the woods.. He thought that I had shot my buddy from next door that usally went in woods with me. Also.. at 13 Dragging out a deer that weighs almost as much as you about 1 1/2 miles is not fun.. but I never felt an inch of it I was so excited... After my dad finished scolding me for going in woods by myself.. (I had left a note were I was going.. He knew I knew the woods since I grown up trapzing about in em) He helped me hang and dress out the deer.. He had it mounted for me.. Still hangs on my wall till today.. I am still more proud of that lil 5 pointer than I am of my big 10 pointer beside it.. I've been hooked ever since...

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Well 2 seasons ago, shot him on the second to last day, I was 20. Me and my partner had a good stalk on him and the 9 does he was rutting, pretty cool. Even better, I have been doing taxidermy for 4 years and finally was able to mount a deer for myself.  I got him on my website, he is the forked horn.

(Edited by wildlifedesigner at 9:36 pm on Jan. 26, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Didn't manage it by 42 so hopefully 43 will work this year.   :crygreen:

MBullism

Reaction score
Started when I was 17 in a non hunting family.  Mostly archery and self taught woodsmanship (school of hard knocks and anything I could get my hands on to read).  Took a SEVENTEEN year dry spell before I got my first at 34.  Taken three more since, two with a bow.  I'm not proud it took 17 years to self educate myself to the point where things clicked, but I tell anyone that thinks hunting is about killing that there's more to it (to keep me hanging on for that long)

russ

Reaction score
Hey all,I was 14,got a 4 point with a 30-30.He ran right off a high wall after I shot.When I found him
he slamed right into a Pinetree and broke both his horns off.I found both horns but still was scared to death,did I have a doe or a buck and it was buck only hunt.Well when I got it home Dad was still prode that I got my fisrt buck.He called to local Game Warden and I guess it was ok.That was back in 1974 and still get road over that one a little bit.

HEAYDUTY

Reaction score
I was 14,It was a 6 point buck 135 lbs shot with a 16 ga shotgun. It happened in Bamberg county South Carolina in sept. 1975 on a dog drive.

prohunter

Reaction score
I was 16 when I missed a huge 4x4 in California's zone D-8! I missed him and 3 other big bucks 5 times! Shots starting out at about 50 yards. It was diffently BUCK FEVER. The next day I went back to the same spot and shot a much smaller 3x3 and was very happy. It was my first deer!

Sidekick

Reaction score
I was 24 years old when I dropped my first deer. I started hunting deer in Calif when I was 15. That venison tasted real good !

Don

Reaction score
I was 29 when I started deer hunting and killed two bucks that same year.  Both shot with an old model 37 Ithaca featherlight that was handed down to me from my father.

kuff

Reaction score
I killed my first in 93. I guess that put me at 28. That started a five year 5 buck rally. This year I took 3. I hunt a farm where they want the herd thinned so I took 2 more than usual and donated them to the local food pantry where they distribute it to the needy. Feels good to be able to do what I enjoy and also to know that people can benefit from it. Go tell the bunny huggers how wrong that is!

Hoss

Reaction score
Killed my first when I was 12, still remember it like it was yesterday.  Thats the nice thing about the outdoors, the memories last forever.

Hoss

Brian S

Reaction score
I was 25 when I got my first deer. I had been hunting most of the seasons since I was 13. The deer was a forked horn California mule deer taken in d-11.
Brian

johnny

Reaction score
I got my first at 10.It was the last day of the season i dropped a big doe with a 12ga. using buckshot.

Haary

Reaction score
I had hunted with my father two years in Calif. but had not got a shot.  Then we went to Wyoming when I was 14.  I shot the first two bucks I saw, both on the first day. Both were little mulie forks. I spent the rest of week beating the brush for my father, uncle and cousin.  They each got 4x4's and 3x3's.  We came back with eight deer.  

woodseye

Reaction score
I was 14 on my first hunt. Shot a spikehorn in Potter Co. Pa. Started hunting in Maine the next year and went 12 years before shooting my next deer. Never once thought about quiting, I was hooked for LIFE!

woods

EricW

Reaction score
12. My first day of hunting alone. Dad hit the bottle a bit too hard the night before, so he told me to go ahead. Got lucky on his favorite rock and a forkie walked by. It was near Blue Lakes, in the Sierras.

jayber

Reaction score
I was 15 when I shot my first deer.  It was a symmetrical 8-pointer with 18" inside spread.  I wasn't seeing anything at my post in the corner of a cornfield so I decided to walk a fenceline.  I spotted him and doe feeding in three-corner fenceline.  Keeping a tree between me and them, I was able to walk up to them within 20 yards.  I'll never forget that one!

wyokid

Reaction score
I was 18 when I shot my first deer a 3x2 Cal Mule deer. Shot him with a .270, had never been so excited.

Brian S

Reaction score
Woodseye,
 I hunted in Maine in 1987 for whitetail I was 15 and didn't get one. But I did have a long haired wild cat walk through the snow right to me. I was pretty scared and had my crosshairs right on it. It got to within 10 yards and I started yelling at it hoping it would see me and run, luckily it did. What kind of cats do you have there. I don't remember what city we were near but I believe we were about an hour north of the Bangor airport. That cat, and going to see INXS in concert at some college in the area are two of the stranger things that have happened on any hunt since.
Brian

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Some awesome stories!  Great topic.

I got my first at 12, with my Christmas shotgun.  20ga shooting #3 buck.  My dad was about 100 yards down the road, when he saw the deer come out and heard me shoot.  One shot, the deer flipped and came down hard.  I'll never forget that.  

I ran up to the deer and... no horns!  This was before the antlerless seasons in North Carolina, and we were hunting with a club.  I felt myself turn cold as my dad came up asking if I got him.  "He had horns when I shot!" was all I could say.

We got closer, and you could see the two bloody holes on his head.  I remember seeing him flip, and his head hit the ground first when he came down.  I walked around and poked around in the grass... and there it was.  A single 8" spike.  

Never found the other, nor am I sure he had both of them when I shot.  It was January, and some of the bucks were already starting to shed out early that season.  Only thing we could figure was that this one was loose, and just needed to be jarred to come out.  Sure scared the hell out of a young hunter, though.

I've killed a lot of deer since then, and several much nicer ones.  But this one will never be far from my memories.  

I still keep that horn on my desk.  

Top Bottom