How old were your kids when they took hunter ed/ got license?

cdj85

Reaction score
I would like to get my son the lifetime license but how old do they have to be to get it? They have online classes right now but i think theres a follow up class. My son's 6 right now. How old were you/your kids? I'd like to try and buy it before the price goes up or before he gets too old to when it about doubles in price.

gdt

Reaction score
I did both my boys at 8 y/o. I got them their lifetime licence for their 9th b-day. As long as they can do well on the test, they should fine.

Limited Out

Reaction score
My son was 9 about 32 years ago when he took his. My grand kids were around 10 and 14 when they got theirs, at an in person location a few years back. This Hunters Safety Class was put on by two retired Game Wardens. It was more about understanding the rules and safety regarding hunting. They helped the youngest kids over the hard parts of passing the test. I think I got mine around 1961 when I was 13 or 14, I think it was about the first or second year it was required. I was fortunate to live in a location where you could shoot a limit of dove out of our backyard, walk to the nearest covey of quail, and it was a mile and half to my permanent duck blind. Been huntin' every since! That lifetime license is a great gift, my son got his when he was 14.

essmanfam2

Reaction score
My 2 oldest got their license at 12 and 10 and my 9y/o is finishing the course this week. I am considering having my 6 year old take the course right now as well. I have been surprised how much of the info my 9 y/o already knew as she is not into hunting nearly as much as my others. And since my 6y/o has spent a lot more time outdoors w/me and the older 2, he will know most of it as well.

Also, for the time being there is no follow-up class. The online portion is all that is required during the "pandemic".

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
My older 2 boys just took theirs. 8 and 10. I'm torn on the idea of a 6 y/o taking the test (I have another boy turning 6 in Sept.) On one hand, it would be great to take advantage and have one good takeaway from the pandemic by getting him the all-online class and you can help him along. On the other hand, I think they should have to work hard and earn it. I know my (almost) 6 y/o would not sit down and go through the class enough to feel a sense of accomplishment. Your boy might be older and more mature though, obviously your call.

Limited Out

Reaction score
What a great sport to pass a long to your kids, you guys are laying the groundwork for a lifetime of enjoyment! The one and only thing worth taking a chance on during this pandemic is shooting the dove opener with my son and one of my grandsons this Sept 1st.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
If a student can understand the book and pass the test then I would say go for it. My 2 grandsons both took the hunter education courses at age 9 and that was after convincing the instructor they could understand the material. They both have lifetime hunting licenses already. Most instructors that we knew wanted the students to be at least 10.
No matter what they may learn with an instructor the real difference is how they are taught by the adults they hunt with. If the adults they hunt with teach good gun safety and hunting ethics then the student will be fine.

cdj85

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have him do it online. He's not going to be actually shooting yet. I want him to go a few times with me first. He can be my bird dog. Plus he's a bit on the smaller side. I saw a few things where instructors would like them to be 10 or 12 years old but the license almost doubles in price after 9. And this way I can take my time teaching him. I won't let him touch a gun until I think he's ready. My dad had my sister and mom go through it along with me when I was younger just for the safety aspect of it. If we took her with us she'd be yelling at the animals to run.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Been a long time ago, and things change. If I remember right my daughter was 8 and her little brother was six.

Common Sense

Reaction score
When we went rabbit hunting, I would kneel down and put the barrel of the single shot .22 on my shoulder, cause Little Sense wasn’t big enough to hold it steady and aim.

cdj85

Reaction score
Hunter had some trouble holding the bb gun steady when we were shooting cans. I have a Winchester 22 lever action he can use for that too. Is there a limit to how many 22s your gun can hold hunting? Cause that thing holds quite a few.

Limited Out

Reaction score
If a student can understand the book and pass the test then I would say go for it. My 2 grandsons both took the hunter education courses at age 9 and that was after convincing the instructor they could understand the material. They both have lifetime hunting licenses already. Most instructors that we knew wanted the students to be at least 10.
No matter what they may learn with an instructor the real difference is how they are taught by the adults they hunt with. If the adults they hunt with teach good gun safety and hunting ethics then the student will be fine.
Well Said! Many good chances to teach lifelong skills!

essmanfam2

Reaction score
My older 2 sat through the entire class in person when they did it a couple of years ago. There certainly is some value in the kids sitting through the material and learning in that setting. On the other hand, half the class did not speak English very well (one guy didn’t speak it at all) and so most of the time was spent trying to help them understand the info so they could pass the test. Ultimately I think I fall in line with Brnsvllyjohn and believe that our kids will learn more from being in the field with us (as they should) than they ever will learn in a class. That is what has me leaning towards having my 6y/o take the test now. Not that he will be allowed to hunt now, he will have to earn that, but at least he will have the State requirement covered.

Planetcat

Reaction score
My twins were 11 years old when they got their hunting license. We don’t hunt small game much, so I was waiting until they could hunt deer and hogs.

Top Bottom