How to attach to tree?

cgchris99

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys use to attach your cameras to the tree.

I was looking for something that would allow me to put an adjustable strap on it, but can't find what I am looking for.

So, I am interested in what you all use and if you know where I can get straps and mounting hardware, that would be great.

Thanks

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I just use Bungies to hold mine on the tree,im haveing a difficult time finding just the right metal box so i can use a chain/cable and lock,I will not use ammo cans.
 Im also thinking of useing double cables and locks,this sounds like a lot of trouble but then it would be twice the trouble to steal it.

Jimmy Jones

Reaction score
I used a chain and a lock. If you want extra support in positioning your unit, I would also use  bungy cords.
I pull the unit as tight as I can get it with the chain and then stick branches and sticks behind the unit to position.

JJ

bandit4649

Reaction score
Hey,

I have my camera in an area that is not heavily hunted, so I know the few guys that hunt here. Also, kin to them too.  They know that I have a camera out but dont know exactly where it is.  I am not real worried about someone stealing it, but I guess there is always a chance.  I use 2 strips of velcro mounted to the back of the case.  This gives great adjustability to the cam.  I got the strips at Wal-Mart and they have one with sticky backing or not.  I used the non-sticky and hold it to the case with small nut/bolt.  I guess this would not be a good thing if you were in bear country or high pressure hunting areas.  Just thought I'd give my 2 cents...

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I used to use bungees but kept forgetting them constantly because they won't store in my enclosure so went to Long, brownish Shoestrings (boot laces)  It can be stored in the enclosure easily so I don't forget it.  

I have a small Loop tied in one end, pass the string around the cam and tree, then thru the loop and cinch it down by pulling the long end "Backwards", against the small loop.  

It's easy to hold the tension by pinching the long end with my thumb and forefinger at the small loop.  I then tie a "Loop" knot,  just have to pull the loose end to untie.......

If the cam is pointing too much at the sky, I place a small stick behind the enclosure to aim it down.

Tinhorn

StringShooter

Reaction score
I use two I-bolts on either side of the cam and chain it to the tree.

Fisher

Reaction score
I used a small 3 ft. long chain, similar to a dog chain, on one side and a short, six inch, bungee strap on the other.  I hook the bungee in whichever link that gives me a good fit to the tree. I did not use a locking system of any kind. I figure if someone is gonna take it, he will lock or not.

Bob R

Reaction score
I used 2 screen door pull handles attached to the back of an ammo can, and I put a ratchet strap through the handles, and around the tree.  It would be easy for someone to steal, but so far I have been lucky.

After the season is over, I am going to bring my camera's (2) home, and attach a chain to them for next year.  I'll still use the ratchet strap to attach it to the tree, but use the chain to slow down a theif.

(Edited by Bob R at 3:54 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

(Edited by Bob R at 3:55 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

Bowfever

Reaction score
Like Stringshooter, I also use I bolts on my cam.  I tie it to the tree with olive 550 parachute chord.  Very thin but very strong.  When in transport I just wind it on the eyebolts for storage.  I also want to use some type of cable or chain system with my 550 para chord to help it from getting legs.

Bowfever

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I haven’t seen my system mentioned here so I’ll tell you about it.  It isn’t theft proof at all but works well.  Like StringShooter’s above, I use the same type of enclosure, but I take a synch strap and cut it in half and pop rivet it at the cut ends to the sides of the enclosure.  I get these at WalMart in the camping supply section.  It is made by Ozark Trail and called a Utility Strap.  It is 6’ by 1.83m in size.  You an also use a belt with a buckle on one end or even a tiedown.  Any of these will work.  Just attach it to the enclosure box and buckle it on the opposite side of the tree.

(Edited by Jon Bain at 12:04 am on Nov. 2, 2001)

dharter

Reaction score
I use an ammo can.  On one side I put a u-bolt.  On the other side I use the rectangular rod of the ammo can.  so far the rod has held up, but I am not sure that it is theft proof.  Later camera I plan to use 2 ubolts.  I use a ratchet strap to mount it to a tree.  I camo paint the ratchet strap.  These straps are llike the ones truckers use to hold their load down on flatbeds, but are smaller.  I bought some at Big Lot and another discount store to save money.  I also  use a steel cable used to prevent bicycles from being stolen.  I cammo paint it.  I run the cable through the handle on the ammo can around the tree and put the lock through the latch on the ammon can.

upnorthunter

Inactive
Reaction score
I use a small ratchet strap it works really well.  The only downfall is that if you want to lock it you have to still put a cable or chain around the tree.

coyote

Reaction score
I build my own 12-14 guage housing and mig weld chain right to it and a weld hasp + lock.  
In fact today I went get a couple cams and there was a guy parked where I go in...he starts telling me bout one of my cams he found.  He never bothered it but he said he waved when the LED lit up.

I've tried the bungies and straps too but call me a farmer but light mechanics wire is hands down the winner...it really works...yoteee'

Latest Posts

Top Bottom