How to make my PIR run off a battery

Reaction score
I have a Dakota Alert Driveway Alarm that I want to use for my PIR in my camera.  It is great because it has 12 volt hookups that are designed to hook something like a doorbell up to,  but can be used to throw a selinoid.  That means the only modification needed is to make it run off battery power instead of house current.  How can I do this??? THanks.

(Edited by jakthesnakeGMC at 9:19 pm on July 18, 2001)

Reaction score
Also,  If I use a solenoid, it doesn't matter what kind of camera, right?  (I want to use a Vivitar Date-a-Print).

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jake,
Your main issues will be:

Does the sensor operate on 120VAC, or the typical 12VDC alarm system power?

What's the power consumption on the PIR?

Even if using a solenoid with a mechanical shutter camera, your camera model may still have an auotomatic power down feature....or the flash might discharge internally if the camera is left sitting idle for long periods....or the power consumption of the camera might be too high for the cam to be useful. You'll have to test the cam to see if it will work well as a trail-cam.

Archilochus

Reaction score
First of all, the acutual motion sensor runs off a 9v battery but it sends a signal to the base which runs off 120 vac. I don't know the power consumption but I wouldnt think it should be too high.  I just need to make it portable.

Top Bottom