How to make Win superx 40 grainers shoot?

shrewster56

Reaction score
Hi everyone,can someone give me a few tips on how to get Winchester 40 grain superX 22 wmr ammo to shoot better in my rifle.These are the ones in the gray box.My rifle is a H+R Varmit model single shot with the heavy taper barrel.I have fooled around with forend pressure and this helps some i also relieved the pressure point on forend and it helped as well.I want to use these for coyotes to no more than 125 yds.I have 2 loads that shoot real sweet out of this little boomer.#1 CCI TVT 30 grain pills on a calm day will shoot under an inch and remington 40 grain hollow points will shoot at best about 1.75 inch at 100 yds.Im ok useing the rems but a few people said they dont expand as well as the Win super x pills?This rifle loves the 30 grain pills and will shoot the federal 30 grainers just as good as the CCIs.Do you think if i went to a 45-50 grain pill the accuracy might be ok with these to? Thanks from Shrew .

Rick

Reaction score
Rimfire rifles are notorious for liking or disliking particular brands and types of bullets. It may be virtually impossible to "make" your gun like the Winchester 40 gr bullet. Options are to use other brands like the Remington ammo your gun does like. I think Federal makes 40 and 50 gr ammo for the .22 mag, and I'd try those to see how your gun shoot them. I would think that .22 mag ammo is designed to expand on smaller game than coyotes, so expansion shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

AMMOe

Reaction score
Rick is right. If your gun doesn't like the Winchesters it wil probably never like them no matter what you do. There is the off chance that the Lot of Winchester you cyrrently have is "off" a bit but you're probably looking at abandoning them for something else. If your gun likes the CCI 30 grain HP don't be too quick to discount them for general use. I shoot Federal 30 grain "Classic" loads which are pretty much same/same as the CCI and they are moving at over 2300 ft/sec at the muzzle from my CZ and Ruger. They are mean medicine. A friend of mine has shot coyote with them out to 100 yards with good results. ~AMMOe

shrewster56

Reaction score
Thanks AMMOe and Rick,yes i agree that with accuracy of less than an inch at 100 yds a person shooting from a solid rest should be able to put one of those little 30 grain pills right into the yottes brain and he should drop like a sack of patatoes lol.The remington40 grain jhps should work to as long as i put them in the boiler room right.The reason i ask is because winchester is sending me $50.00 US worth of cupons to by what ever winchester AMMOe i would like lol.Will see if the manger of the local wholesale sports outlet here in Sask Canada will just let me use these cupons for another brand as all he has to do to get his money is redeme them right.Wally world might have the 45 grain Dyna mags here as well so i could try a little heavyer pill as well to see if my rifle will stabilize them better than the 40 grainers?The yottes we have up here in central sask can be pretty big and tough critters so i wanna be sure i have the accuracy and punch at the effective range to kill them with this wmr.In the old days my dad and grandpa shot them in the head with the 22 rim and they all fell in thier tracks lol.Thanks again from Shrew

Rick

Reaction score
You can also try the black boxed Winchester Supreme HP ammo. It's a hot round, too. It's a bit more expensive, but if it what your gun likes, it is worth it!

shrewster56

Reaction score
Thanks Rick,yep i have tryed the 34 grain winnys in my gun and the first batch shot ok? 1/2"@25-3/4"@50+2"@100 but then i bought a box from another store differant lot# and they are all over the place lol..Shrewster

AMMOe

Reaction score
My buddy brisket shoots coyotes with that +V CCI Load and he says they drop. I have cut cottontails in half with the Federal counterpart at 90 yards so I know it has the kind of power you'd need for a lung shot on a yote. Have fun, no matter what! ~AMMOe

shrewster56

Reaction score
Thanks AMMOe,with accuracy of less than an inch at 100 yds i think as long as i keep my shots under 100 yds and put them in the boiler room or in the brain the yotte wont go far.The CCI 30 grain load will turn a gopher inside out at 100 ysds so even if a person hit a rib on a broadside shot on a yotte the shrapnel from the rib should blow out the closest lung and damage the lung on the other side or the heart.If hit in the brian? Well lol thats a no-brainer ? Thanks again from shrew

Top Bottom