How would you use a N C relay

JERRYinNC

Reaction score
Does anyone no how to wire so that you can use a normaly closed relay???? If you can I would like to share a new PIR.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum we need all the ideas we can get!

but not sure what you are wanting to do?

Tinhorn

JERRYinNC

Reaction score
I have a PIR that has a has a n c relay in it. So when it is triggered it opens

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
two pretty simple solutions you could use

1. wire the shutter directly to the relay contacts. The drawback is the cam will take one pic when you switch from test to armed. The cam will also take a pic when the PIR goes from trip to norm (can you say backwards logic)

2. wire one side of the contact to a pull up resitor and the other side to ground. Add a N/O relay with one side of the coil connected to the contact which goes to the resistor and the other side of the coil going to ground. wire this relay's contacts to the camera shutter.

There are dozens of other ways to do it depending on whetjer you are using timers, etc.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Could you take the N C relay out and replace it with a N O relay?  This seems to simple of an answer but then again I'm pretty simple minded.

JERRYinNC

Reaction score
What i have is a pir with four screws. All you have to do is put your wire in it and screw it down no soliering it has a POS, NEG, NC, and COM. IT runs off 10 to 16 volts the  guy i got it from said he can get them with yhe NO on it I will call him tonight>

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I'd make a guess that's some kind of Burglar Alarm PIR you got there.  If someone cuts the wire coming from the relay contacts, it'd be the same as sensing movement and the Alarm would get triggered,  It's called a "Closed Loop" system....

What kind of battery does that use?  

Do you have a way to measure the Current of the PIR? or see it in the Spec Sheet.

Sounds like swopping out the relay may be the easiest way alright.....

Tinhorn

JERRYinNC

Reaction score
i got a 12 volt but it says 10 to 16 volts can be used IT says14mA typical 20 max i am tring to figure out a way to get a pic on here

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I was afraid of that,  14ma's is a "HOG"   I'll bet a 1.2 AmpHour 12 volt battery would only last a few days ! ! !

Wonder what the rating of a Motorcycle Battery is?

Tinhorn

Top Bottom