Howdy from Visalia!

Deluded

Reaction score
I'm a lifetime fly fisherman, hiker, and biker. My grandfather, a game warden, was my role model growing up. I have practiced with my bow every day for the last 18 months and started scouting public land around Coalinga last winter. No success, but seeing game and learning the area. Happy to have found this forum!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Deluded, man it’s been awhile since I played with my fly rod. once the the bass start getting real active and move up to the banks I will definitely break out my fly rod.
It’s good u r staying fresh with your bow. Trad or compound and how many yards r u proficient at right now. Been to Visalia once when I lived in cali, real nice country for sure. if u get a chance post some fly action pics in the fly fishing forum.......tra

Deluded

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm Welcome TRA. I got a kick out your top water bass posts. The excitement reads clear and reminds me how long it has been since I've been after bass. I had a little BLM pond with a few 2-4 pounders that I top water fly fished for a few seasons, but the drought has taken its toll and it will take several years for it to recover. Tossing streamers in the lower lower Kings is fun for the small mouths, too. I fished under the 198 overpass in the SJ Valley for awhile... saw beavers and bobcats and kingfishers; half a million cars a day pass over and I've never ever seen another person fishing there! Back country Kaweah and Kern rivers are my true fishing love though.
I have become obsessed with archery for the last year and a half. 60# compound bow. I now have enough archery tools to open a shop so I've learned proper tuning and feel very confident with the technical aspects of bow maintenance. My practice space is limited to 32 yards, and while accurate from there I wouldn't take a shot beyond that. I remember buck fever rifle hunting when I was a kid, but the one time I've had the opportunity to draw back on a pig I was calm as could be. I wish I would have discovered how fun and challenging archery is earlier in life!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome from the "right coast". :) I hope things go smoothly for you this season. TRA is an archery aficionado, so you landed on a good one right off the bat. :)

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yeh u definitely have to get to a range or somewhere were u can shoot longer distances at least out to 60 yards.
Yes it’s definitely a challenge and very rewarding when u can get to within 20 yards of the game or non game animals and seal the deal, but in cali u find game animals that feed in wide open spaces with very minimal cover to work with at greater distances beyond your 32 yard limit right now especially deer.
Now the reason I say this is not that u have to shoot beyond your 32 yards that is fine and higher chances for success and accuracy but for these reasons:
1) u spend a lot of money on equipment and supplies for archery and bow hunting.
2) u will spend endless hrs of practice flinging arrows to be proficient with a bow for success and ethical shot placement.
3) you will spend a lot of money and time and miles on gas and traveling back and forth to the range and destination hunts.
4) u will spend a lot of money on hunting licenses and tags each season and in Cali they are not cheap, greedy bast........lol
5) U will spend hrs watching hunting shows and videos to learn all u can before u hit the field
6) u will spend hrs on jesses sucking up as much info and knowledge to b more successful
Now imagine this scenario which will probably will happen to u more often then u think once u r on a hunt.
Scenario > u have 3 day weekend hunt and it’s a 100 mi. Away to travel too.
After already 2 days of hard hunting in extreme Cali heat humping mountain ranges u had no opportunity to get a arrow off yet so u hope be 3 day it all comes together.
On the 3rd. Day u only have hrs to make it happen before u have to pack up and head home.
Finally in the last hr of your hunt there is your game animal u r pursuing but the only shot opportunity u have is 45, 50 maybe 60 yrds out and there’s no way u can get any closer without getting busted.
So because u r only limited to 32 yards with your bow u now realize that u r going to go home empty handed because of your limitations with your shooting distances prevented u from sealing the deal unless u were proficient with a bow out to 60 yrds the outcome could of been totally different.
After all that I stated of your investment and time and reasons above to b wasted and blown due to only one thing, being limited to your 32 yards distance with a bow.
This scenario will probably happen more often then u think and u want all the shot opportunities u can get, longer distances u can shoot the more opportunities for success, with limited distances less opportunities, especially after all u put into archery and bow hunting.
It’s a lot to think about this is just food for thought when it comes to being a Cali bowhunter.
Hope this inspires u to achieve shooting longer distances in the future.
Have a great day my friend and good luck on your next hunting adventure......tra

Deluded

Reaction score
Thank you TRA; excellent advice for sure. My hunting grounds are nearly 2 hours away. It is a good thing I love hiking, and few things are better to me than watching the sun come down a ridge with the deer and birds and everything else waking up and begining to move as I glass the area.
I wish I had a longer distance available on a daily basis. Any shot on an animal for me has to be taken with supreme confidence. With tons of variables I know things can happen, but I don't want my abilities to be the cause of a poor shot. Our gun range has an archery lane, but shooting adjacent to the rifle reports and waiting 15 minutes for them to call a cease fire to collect arrows is not for me. That said, I am keeping my eyes open for a place to practice like you suggest.
I've been hunting with a WiseGuy but practice mostly with a SilverBack... almost ready to commit to the SilverBack full time, I think.

Top Bottom