Howdy Partner? Looking for a Deer Hunting Buddy for D11, D8, D12, D13 Zones

jrappyo

Hey gents,

I'm Jon. I'm a first-gen hunter and I've learned everything on my own...and forums, tv shows and my buddy in WI. I picked up the bow last June 2018 then went on my first whitetail hunt with a friend of mine and his pops in WI. Fun! Almost came up but shot low. All good. I learned so much and had an amazing time. One of the best things I have ever done in my life for sure.

Three months ago, I shot my first wild boar. That was also quite fun. I wanted to get the first kill done in preparation for deer season. I was planning to hit a spot in D8 that I have scouted but archery season passed and so did the 8 weddings I had to attend during summer (glad thats almost over with, haha). Either way, I scouted 3 zones in D11 and I'll be heading up in the next couple of days. This season is a bit of a wash, as planning has really already happened, but I still would like to connect with some people who live in LA proper who also enjoy hunting and fishing. I fly fish as well!

I grew up in LA but never spent much time hunting, just fishing in the summer at camp. I learned of hunting while going to college in Utah (no, I am not Mormon), just never did it out there, which I wholeheartedly regret! Lol. Either way, I now live in echo park. I just got back from my second Kernville trip. I went backpacking in the eastern sierras searching for golden trout - caught one! I like to get out but I also love music, sports, and nightlife as well.

If you're also looking for a hunting/fishing bud and live in the area, let's connect and grab a beer. We could chat about getting out hunting as well. Cheers.

AVH

Hey Jon,

I'm new to hunting as well. I'm a trad archer and looking forward to exploring the local mountains in hopes of a harvest one day. I've found it a bit difficult to find a hunting mentor so I've been reading books, watching films and listening to countless podcasts. I think it's time to just get out there. Always down for a cold beer.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Since u guys are archers do u go to your local bow range or pro shop to practice shooting, u can usually meet people that way to hook up for a hunt once u build a trusting rapport and understanding and mutual respect for each other, it’s another avenue to think about.
When I first joined Jesses 13 yrs ago I didn’t ask anyone for anything, I just read, listened and slowly earned the respect of my fellow jho members by building trusting relationships one bye one and back then it was a tuff crowd to warm up to believe me or u would b runned off with your tail between your legs butt hurt for life...lol eventually I got a pm and invite on a jho group hunt and after that the rest is history, made a lot of good friends on jho and did many hunts with jho members by building great trusting relationships for life,that was then and this is now where we try to b tolerant and go out of our way to help newbies, but unfortunately a lot of newbies don’t want to take the time to build a trusting relationship with the outstanding members of the jho community so they r here today and gone tomorrow. But if u r patient u will b rewarded with good info great advice and maybe a private invite on a hunt once u have proven u have good intentions, I mean do u let a stranger just walk in your house and help themselves and except that, I don’t think so, so u can’t always expect to just walk in on jho and take without giving first. Just some food for thought. Either here u make it or u break it, there’s no in between. Have a great day and good luck on your missions......tra

imperial valley hunter

Well said TRA. Since joining any of these forums I’ve yet to ask anyone to take me hunting or fishing with them. It just doesn’t feel right. I have just asked a few questions and read many old post from the vets. That was enough for me to get me on the right track, the rest was just me going out and figuring it out. Maybe I’m just old school.

I try and help fellow newbies but I do get that feeling that it’s all gimmie gimmie and see ya later. Somehow the hunting/fishing traditions need to be kept alive because well you see how the world is turning... but it needs to be passed down/on correctly, the respect comes first and the rest falls into place.

Good luck guy’s, I think you will figure it out with or without our help. Post up your adventures. Stay safe.

AVH

I'm a member of Pasadena Roving Archers and have shot there weekly for about two years. Most members don't hunt though. I also travel around the state competing in the various 3D competitions. Trad archers are some of the friendliest people and the first to share their wealth of knowledge (or lack thereof). I've found that hunters can be a bit more elusive and I certainly understand why. It's not in my nature to ask for handouts or take short cuts... hell, I'm a trad archer, I don't do much of anything the easy way. I understand my place on the experiential totem pole and am willing to pay my dues. Just happy to become a part of the hunting community, soak up as much information as I can and someday provide my own experience to the next new guy.

jrappyo

I'm a member of Pasadena Roving Archers and have shot there weekly for about two years. Most members don't hunt though. I also travel around the state competing in the various 3D competitions. Trad archers are some of the friendliest people and the first to share their wealth of knowledge (or lack thereof). I've found that hunters can be a bit more elusive and I certainly understand why. It's not in my nature to ask for handouts or take short cuts... hell, I'm a trad archer, I don't do much of anything the easy way. I understand my place on the experiential totem pole and am willing to pay my dues. Just happy to become a part of the hunting community, soak up as much information as I can and someday provide my own experience to the next new guy.
Fully relate to this. I don't think I will even get out this season in my area because I need to read and study a bit more.

blazintowers

Hi, You guys want to read a really good thread and get pumped to go kill something go read the sticky thread "The Best Pacific Hybrids" under the Bowhunting forum...lots of info...

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Omg they will never b the same if they read the “Best Pacific Hybrids” thread by one of the baddest trad archers> Kingwouldbe....bow down to King!......tra

Top Bottom