How's the Quail Scouting Goin'

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been scouting for quail. I am hoping to hit a couple of places before this month is over.

GSP

Reaction score
I know where lots of quail are... What is needed is a small bulldozer to make trails through the thick brush to get em.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
GSP, I know a bunch of spots that could use a buldozer as well. Even when I take my dog it's very tuff to hunt.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
The birds I've seen have been spoty at best. Here in the valley we are down to only 3.5 inches of rain for the year. Water is a major concern and even the guzzlers I've checked are a few weeks away from being bone dry. Although I've seen birds, I don't think it will be a banner year.

Kernhuntr

songdog

Reaction score
I've seen some decent sized coveys (40-50 birds) but not many of them and they haven't contained any little ones as best I could tell.

Suzmar1997

Reaction score
     We saw some pretty good numbers while looking for pigs in the Santa Barbara County area (Near lake Cachuma). We had a stellar year last year, just not sure if we're going to have access to the private land this year. Limits were the rule on every trip last year, but I think that spot was a once and a life time deal. All of our other spots are spotty at best and the water availability is pretty poor.

JustBob

Reaction score
Welcome to Jesses Suzmar and thanks for sharing information. I like that right off the bat. Good luck this season and I hope you find them again like last year.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Suzmr1997,
Welcome to Jesse's. I'm kinda in the same boat...every since I left Ventura all my private spots have went by the wayside. They are nice while you have them though.
Have you had any luck around the lake for hogs?

Kernhuntr

Suzmar1997

Reaction score
  None in that area, saw a ton just south of the lake, but of course those pesky fences and signs ruined any hopes for pork. I forgot the name of the ranch, but i guess he guides for $300 or so for the day. I'll take my chances somewhere else. We saw a lot of old sign in other areas NE of the lake, but weren't there earlier enough to glass anything from afar.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
So it seems by what most of you are saying that this year is not going to be a great year for quail. Pray for rain guys. we still have 3 months to go.

Top Bottom