excellent flash range
sliding door for power on and off
two minute sleep mode
Easy to take apart and hard wire
bought pelican 1120
Runs off 4 AA and has a port for external power
I am a first timer

I was able to take apart my HP photosmart camera and this is what I found:
Under the shutter button is a square piece that has 4 solder points, exactly like that of the cannon elph. I fused 1 wire to each of the 4 solder points and I fused one wire to the power and one to the ground for the power controls, this was located behind the slide door (just like that of the olympus cameras). I drilled a small hole at the top of the camera housing and ran all the wires out. The reason I wired all solder points under the shutter button is because the housing of the camera holds the batteries and when a part I can not power it up.
Test time, This is what I found:
first set - 1 power, 2 ground
connect wire 1 and 2 the camera turns on

second set - wire A, wire B, wire C & wire D
connect A to B nothing
conect A to C led lights up (green) and camera takes makes a click(but no picture)
connect B to C same as A to C
connect A or B to D nothing
Connect A or B to C&D camera takes a picture

I think wires are as followed:
Wire A common
Wire B common
Wire C refresh
Wire D shutter

Does this look right? I want to make sure wire C is refresh. From my under standing (in simple terms) the controller board when activated connects the common to the refresh and shutter to take a picture? If so how come if I hook up my camera to a multrie controll board the camera does not take a picture? I know there a quite a few boards out there but what is the diferrence?

An interesting note - when I keep wire A or B connected to wire C, the green led stays on constant. Now when I add wire D(shutter) the camera takes instantanious pics! Is this ok to do?

Now I talked to Bill at PixController and he recommended the RSP4i chip with the universal controller. The camera will turn on when the pir is triggered and then camera will take a picture. Does anyone have any reccomendations on other boards and do you think I have a new hackable camera?

Thanks,
HUNGRY4P&Y

Will add pics tonight!

thehunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,

I will let some of the electronically inclined member answer your questions. If you could it would help if you could post a picture of the camera.

It would seem that you could use a Pix universal board and hook it up just like the Olympus 370/380.

pocomoke

Reaction score
I would think it would have to be used as an on/off style cam because with a 2 minute sleep time you would have to run cam in fast shutter mode all the time...

HUNGRY4P&Y

Reaction score
Pocomok,
what will happen if I run the camera in fast shutter mode. Will it drain the battery faster?
I looked at you webpage and it looks like you got a operation going on and you must know what your talking about.
I will post pics tonight.
thanks

pocomoke

Reaction score
Dont let the pics fool ya.I know nutting.Actually All I have learned came right from these fine folks here.These folks spend lots of hours and $$$$ trying out new products just to help us camaholics get another fix.

My wife would kill me if I bought a new camera and tried to hack into it to see if it could be used as a game camera only to ruin it or short something out but that is excactly what many folks on here have done to help us all and I say kudos to Jesses and all of the other pioneers...

Now I should have said that the board will actually be put into fast refresh and will send a signal to your cam to keep it awake.I think the pixcontroller fast refresh is like every 7.5 minutes so even that will not be fast enough for your cam to keep it awake.Draw back to this is batteries drain much faster...

W

wildebeast

Before you take the next step of finding a board, take the cam into a dark room and turn it on and see how fast it will take a flash picture. Be sure to set it set a while so the flash is not charged to check the time to charge flash and take a picture.

Next step is to set down and take a picture every minute to keep the cam on and see how long the battery will last.

I believe that it would be best to use an off/on setup for that cam. The main thing is how long it takes to come on --charge flash--then take a picture. If it's over 5 seconds it is too long.

cliff

HUNGRY4P&Y

Reaction score
cliff,
When I have used this camera in the past the I could take 30 pictures on the highest resolution with the view screen on. In order to save power I turned off the view screen. The camera view screen will only come one when the camera takes a picture and then turns off. To conserve even more power I changed the settings for brightness to the lowest settings and turned off all sound alerts on the camera. Now I can take over a hundred pictures on one set of batteries. Ofcourse I will only be using a 16mb card.

I will test the camera tonight to see how long it takes to power up and take a picture. fingers crossed.

Question. does the pixcontroller universal board have settings so there will be a delay when the shutter will go off? I do not want the camera to turn on then activate the shutter before the camera flash is charged.

Also does anyone know if there are different shutter speeds, can I get a board that can accomidate different shutter speeds ( the amount of time the relay has to stay closed for the picture to turn off).

thanks,
Hungry4P&Y

W

wildebeast

I do hope you found another camera that works. If you know the timing on the flash -- shutter conbination it might match a chip already in production. I was thinking about the 380 timing. There are people that program chips.

Remember that if you turn cam on and take a picture you have to know when to shut it off after it saves the picture.

Good luck

cliff

bowman

Reaction score
Hungry4P&Y
I think what you might try is to set the camera up come back in 2.5 hours and touch your refresh and common wires together set your alarm clock,then maybe a hour later refresh common and shutter and see if it takes a picture this should tell you if the camera goes completly asleep or just opossum mode, this is my understanding of the 380 the controller works in much the same way except electronicly closing the contacts ,the camera(picture turns off after the contacts OPEN.
If the camera stays on or can be rewoke or you go with the on/off there still is the issue of current consuption and if the camera would be suitable for a game cam, another thought is to let the camera sit until it is completely asleep then time from when you touch all three common shutter and refresh untill it takes apicture that will give you an ideal as to how long it will take between pir and shutter could be a few seconds making it too long of a time for a trail cam. Good Luck

HUNGRY4P&Y

Reaction score
like I promised attached is some of the pics of the wired camera.

Also I performed the test that pocomoke said to do - turn on the camera and then take a picture. The result was between 5-6 seconds to take a pic. Awfull!
What I found is I was on the highest resolution and was using a 32mb compact flash card. I then switched to a 16mb card and was able to reduced my shutter time by 3 seconds at full resolution. Here are the results with a 16mb card:
highest resolution 3 seconds
mid resolution 2.5-3 seconds
lowest resolution not much diffrent from mid resolution.

One thing I like to note the camera after it falls asleep (2min mark), the only way to turn the camera back on is to close the door and then open back up. The camera will not turn back on just by pressing the shutter button. The camera will stay on if I touch the common and the refresh wire(?) before the 2 min shut down mark. Does this mean I do not have a refresh wire? Can I still use the rsp4I chip? Do they have a board that will refresh at 1.5 minute intervals?

thanks

Attachments

headnurse

Banned
Reaction score
I sincerely don't want to step on any toes.... I have an HP 315 and was using it all the time, then read up on the digital gamecam's, wanted one soooo bad, found a used P32 on ebay... took it up north to try it for quality, etc. (took pictures of morel's and didn't even know it till later) The 315 shutter time, charge time, picture save time and quality is in no way comparable to the P32. I gave the 315 to my youngest daughter and found another p32 to use for myself, and I'd imagine that the newer Sony's are even better. Depending on what you are looking for in a cam you can do much better. I just got
yet another p32 on ebay for only $125 to build yet another cam. (woe, how the addicted suffer) Almost traded a gamecam for a full sized '79 4x4 Blazer with a rebuilt 350 plus much much more, but decided the gamecam was worth more to me.
What it comes down to is, picture quality means EVERYTHING when you get that distant shot that you need to zoom in to see if it's that P&Y buck you've been waiting for.
I could never do much with those 315 shots even with the highest settings, but you can DO that with the p32. Well worth the $$ even if it isn't top of the line any more.
Justs my

HUNGRY4P&Y

Reaction score
HEAD NURSE,
WHICH BOARD DID YOU USE WITH THE HP 315? I AM NEW AT THIS AND HAD A THIS OLD HP LAYING AROUND AND DECIDED TO GIVE IT A HACK. I USED IT FOR HUNTING AND FISHING TRIPS AND IF IT BROKE NO BIGGIE. IF i CAN MAKE IT WORK IN A GAME CAMERA I WILL BE HAPPY. RIGHT NOW I USE A MULTRIE GAME CAMERA 35MM , NOT THE GREATEST BUT I AM SATISFIED WITH THE PICS. I JUST WANT A DIGITIAL, BECAUSE I GET ANCY WAITING FOR THE PICS TO DEVELOP ON 35MM. ONCE I GET THE KNOW HOW I CAN MOVE TO BETTER THINGS, SONY PERHAPS.

headnurse

Banned
Reaction score
I never tried the HP in a game cam, after comparing the cameras alone, I knew there was NO comparison on timing. The HP is just tooo slow, tho a good cam for just messing around like you were using it. My first digital attempt was with the used p32 I got cheap on ebay and a Pix RSP (sony chip) board before the universal. It's working great and heading to the woods on Sunday if all goes well. I still built it for less than $250.00 compared to the cost of the good ones with the same guts in them($600-$700). Saw a p32 just yesterday on ebay with a broken LCD that went really cheap... it's worth the try to use something like that for a first try just so you don't get frustrated trying to get it working right. I didn't realize the difference in the picture quality and timing until I got the newer cam. As the kids say, it's time for me to get out of the 'dark ages'....(but I like it there....less thought is required
)
Wish you the best of luck!
Nothing beats that great shot whether it's camera (whatever kind), or success with a weapon. Although my boy got the only buck seen at my hunting site during the youth hunt...

Get into the addiction! You'll never leave!

Haymaker

Reaction score
HUNGRY4P&Y,

Good work on figuring out your HP camera. To answer your questions yes, the RSP4i chip will power the camera on then wait a short amount of time to allow the camera to charge the flash and get ready to shutter a photo. Actually there are 2 delay setting you can set using the RSP4i chip. When it powers on the camera is will soon close the refresh contact to start charging the flash. Some cameras will charge the flash when you power it up, and some won't unless you close the refresh contact. Other boards may work with your HP using only the power on/off and shutter, but you'll have to make sure you get the timing right.

In any case good work for your efforts here. Keep us posted!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom