Huckabee comments on Obama & the Rev. Wright flap

chuam

Reaction score
HUCKABEE: [Obama] made the point, and I think it's a valid one, that you can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do. You just can't. Whether it's me, whether it's Obama...anybody else.

Sermons, after all, are rarely written word for word by pastors like Reverend Wright, who are delivering them extemporaneously, and caught up in the emotion of the moment. There are things that sometimes get said, that if you put them on paper and looked at them in print, you'd say "Well, I didn't mean to say it quite like that."

And one other thing I think we've gotta remember. As easy as it is for those of us who are white, to look back and say "That's a terrible statement!"...I grew up in a very segregated south. And I think that you have to cut some slack -- and I'm gonna be probably the only Conservative in America who's gonna say something like this, but I'm just tellin' you -- we've gotta cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told "you have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can't sit out there with everyone else. There's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office. Here's where you sit on the bus..." And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me.

link

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
And one other thing I think we've gotta remember. As easy as it is for those of us who are white, to look back and say "That's a terrible statement!"...I grew up in a very segregated south. And I think that you have to cut some slack -- and I'm gonna be probably the only Conservative in America who's gonna say something like this, but I'm just tellin' you -- we've gotta cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told "you have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can't sit out there with everyone else. There's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office. Here's where you sit on the bus..." And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me.[/b]

There are many black people who have endured all sorts of terrible racism who don't have a chip on their shoulder about white people. And racism is no excuse for believing wacko conspiracy theories about 9-11, AIDS, ect or sympathizing with America's enemies in the world.

Obama can't help what Wright believes. But he can help attending his church. If Obama attended there for 20 years and made Wright his confidant and honestly didn't know what Wright believed, then Obama doesn't have the wisdom or discernment to be president. If he did know what Wright believed, then Obama is lying and showing himself to be just another politician. It would also suggest that Obama probably does believe in at least some aspects of Wright's ideology.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Chaum;

Just as you said,we don't have to agree with the pastor we are hearing..just as I don't agree with Huckabee right now !

Cut some slack..not in the pulpit..no way.
Suppose some preacher s sister was raped by a black guy (as a case I know of)..would ythat preacher justified to go into the pulpit the next week..or 30 years later as the case with Rev Wright, an start calling all black people all kinds of evil names ? Huh, Chaum ?

I have been seriously in the Christian life for some thirty odd years now, and I often sub preach..if I talked the way Rev Wright did,
cursing from the pulpit, saying racist, hateful things..my speaking engagements could, and should, come to a screeching halt.

Rev Wright not only spoke hateful, racist things from the podium..he also preached politics..endorsing a candidate !

I have often wished I could in a message say: "vote for the Reagan of your choice"..or even "go, Geo Bush"..

..But guess what Chaum, it is not only disrespectful of those in the auditorium who disagree with you..but it also happens to be
... against the law !

I wonder just what part of "against the law" Rev Wright doesn't understand ? Or are such laws only for the "white church" ?

Strange; but I have never referred to my home church or any other local church, as the "white church" !

A final rejoinder to Rev Wright..The church that was founded by Jesus Christ is not black, white, green, purple, orange opr even puce !

Time for Rev Wright to grow up, get over his hatred (as Christ tells us)..and start with a decent, productive life !

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom