Huge FL gator

Glass eye

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>
These first 2 pictures were taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Thomas, Winter Haven, Florida. The helicopter pilot and the game wardens on the ground were in communication via 2-way radios.

Here is a transcript of their conversation.

'Air1, have you a visual on the gator, Over'

'Approaching inlet now, Over'

'Roger Air1'

'Gator sighted. Looks like it has a small animal in its mouth....moving in, over'

'Roger Air1'

'Oh Crap it's a Deer!'

'Confirm Air1.. Did you say Deer?, Over'

'Roger.........a Deer in it's mouth....looks like a full sized buck....that's a big gator, boys. We're gonna need more men, Over'

'Roger Air1.....can you give me a idea on size of animal, over'

'Its a big one.....25 feet at least, please advise, gator is heading to inlet....do I pursue?, over'

That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth!
The deer was later found to be a mature Stag.
If you ski at the west end of the lake ---- try not to fall overboard.

This alligator was found between Lakeland and Winter Haven Florida near the house of Anita and Charlie Rogers, who could hear the beast bellowing in the night.
Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the waterway that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.
'I didn't believe it,' Charles Rogers said, but after the alligator was killed, they realized the stories were, if anything, understated.
Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator. Joe Goff, a 6'5" tall game warden, shown below, walks past the 28-foot, 1-inch long alligator that he helped shoot and kill in the Rogers' back yard.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

inchr48

I can't see them either, but if it's the one it sounds like, it's been around the block a few times.

Where's Bruce?

Spoke to a guide here in Florida today, may be returning this Sep if I don't get an elk tag but a 12 footer is considered big, can't imagine taking one bigger with a bow. This is the view from our room at the Jupiter Resort & Spa, the ocean's on the wrong side!

View attachment 80222

Where's Bruce?

Assuming I do not get drawn for anything "decent" this year (elk, antelope, etc) I may have to take a tip eastern guys and try my hand at a gator bowhunt. I'm gonna make this brief as I am kinda burnt after a day of travel but while in Florida this past week I stumbled across an ancient monster. Can you see him?

Lemme crop and enlarge for you. (My iphone doesn't take good long distant photos)

This gator is somewhere between 10-12 feet long. Motivated me to look into slip-tip arrows. I have since discovered a website that provides gator gear at http://www.huntinglight.com/bowfishing-equipment-c-27.html and the owner (Jeff) was very helpful recommending use of detachable line connected to a lighted float and 500lb hollow braided line for giant gators. Gotta order some gator meat now and see if my girls like it. Figure if they don't know what it is when I serve it there won't be any automatic reason for them to hate it. I've only eaten it once and I expected it to taste like frog legs (half chicken-half fish) and was surprised that it tasted more like sweet chicken...looks like chicken too. If they enjoy the taste then going out and knocking one down with the bow might be a cool and unique experience. I'm already gonna be hog hunting there so why not take the bowfishing gear too?

Any of you guys don't this? I would love to hear about your experience.

Top Bottom