Huge Michigan 8 Pointer Pic and Story

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

BY ERIC SHARP

DETROIT FREE PRESS OUTDOORS WRITER

Victor Bulliner left an uneaten plate of steak and eggs on a restaurant table Sunday morning. There was nothing wrong with the food. He was just too jittery to eat after killing what should be the state-record typical 8-point deer with a green score of 184 1/8.

"My stomach just won't hold anything," said Bulliner, a Flint Delphi plant worker who took the big buck Saturday on a farm in Hillsdale County.

Bulliner, 49, his son Chad, 20, and Bulliner's brother-in-law, Terry Clay, were hunting a farm in Jackson County when Bulliner decided to try a place in the next county. The wind was wrong for his ladder stand, so he found a fallen tree and lay back on the sloping trunk.

"I had started scanning around when I saw the deer 40 yards away," he said. "He must have seen my head move, because he stopped walking. I froze. The next 20 minutes were the longest of my life. He just stood and stared at me. I had done a half sit-up to look around, and after a minute my stomach muscles were killing me."

But the hunter could see it was an incredible buck, and as luck would have it, the deer blinked first. It finally turned its head away, and Bulliner was able to bring his gun up, turn his body and shoot. He took the buck to the Cabela's outdoors superstore in Dundee, where it was given a green score of 184 1/8 on the Boone & Crockett Club scale.

Bulliner gave some credit to his scent-free suit and boots, which he said kept the buck from scenting him, even though it was slightly downwind. "I'm a true believer now," he said. "There's no way I could have got that close without the no-scent clothing."

The antlers must dry for several weeks before a final score is determined, but Bulliner said they won't lose more than three inches after drying and deductions for imperfections. They should score well above the current 8-point record, a fraction more than 175 inches.

The overall state whitetail record is a 10-point buck that scored 198 when it was killed by Troy Stephens in 1996. More than 250,000 bucks were killed by Michigan hunters last season, but only two scored higher than 180 when measured by Commemorative Bucks of Michigan

jayber

Reaction score
WOW, don't blame the guy for being so excited about it........Nice deer!

kuff

Reaction score
What a trophy! Sometimes things just go your way.

troll

Reaction score
What that story didn't tell you was that after the guy shot it, he wanted to make sure it wouldn't get up and walk away so he pumped the last of the rounds from his gun in it!  I'm not so sure I wouldn't have done the same.

Advertisement

Top Bottom