Huns in California

Mojave

Reaction score
I read an article in a sports magazine, recently about hunting Hungarian Partridges, and they mentioned California. This species doesn't seem to appear on the DFG site. Anyone have experience with "huns"? Are there any in California?

rlwright

Reaction score
I've never heard of huns in Ca, maybe they were refering to red legged partride. Acorrding to my field guide to upland birds the farthest southwest huns range is Idaho.

songdog

Reaction score
Boy I wish we had them in CA.  They're a kick to hunt.  It seems like we have the right terrain in some areas but nobody has planted birds there.

Hook

Reaction score
I had a chance to hunt them in Montana only once in my life. They are a lot of fun to hunt, they take off like quail but fly farther before hitting the ground again. They are found in good numbers in the CRP fields in Montana.

Unfortunately we do have any here.

DanV

Reaction score
I'm lost, always thought huns were chukars. Are they close in size, habits or perfered habitat to chukars?

songdog

Reaction score
Huns and chukar are different.  Chukar are on the top of the highest, steepest, nasties mountains that you can find.  Huns tend to prefer the more rolling sides of grassy hills.  Both are about the same size, both can be in coveys as large as 100 or more birds (though chukar more likely than huns).

You'll find chukar in more places than you'll find huns.

DanV

Reaction score
Thanks, Songdog. Have hunted Chukar before towards Skedaddle Mt. near Susanville, although not much success they are my favorite. Too bad it's about a 5 hour drive to the nearest ones, unless you hunt them at a bird club and as you know thats a totally different bird.

Mojave

Reaction score
Looks like we're out of luck in Calif, as far as Huns are concerned. I have to dig up the article I was reading, and check it out more carefully. I have seen more Chukar in the hills around the Western Mojave this year, than I have seen in the past 6 or 7 years. With an El Nino~ predicted for this year, maybe we will see the numbers we saw in the '80s again!!?

rlwright

Reaction score
Mojave, how many times have you been chukar hunting this season? I've only been able to get out 1 time and I got 1 bird. I hope to get out to goat spring before the season ends.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom