Hunt for a swede in CA.

niclas83

Hi guys, i'm just looking around to see if there is any possibility for a Swede visiting his brother in LA now and then to go hunting somewhere.
Got any ideas??

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Fishgunner

There are lots of places and things to hunt in California... are we talking muzzloading for Tule Elk, shotgunning for dove or Bow Fishing for carp??? They are all vastly different. Southern, central or Northern California? ... what species, what method of take, how many days are you willing to commit? You have to couch your question a bit before anyone can even begin to attempt to answer... at the very least give us an idea of what region and species...

niclas83

Oh, i'm sorry.
Somewhere around Costa Mesa and Temecula.
I am willing to try anything/everything.
As i where saying, just looking around for possibilitys.

Fishgunner

First pick a species. Deer, turkey, dove, duck, rabbits, hogs, coyote, etc. Then learn EVERYTHING there is to know about that species, what it eats, when it breeds, when it sleeps, where it lives etc. When you decide what you want to hunt then learn the laws regarding that species and learn the locations that species can be found. Hunting is 75% research, 20% skill and 5% dumb luck. From Temecula you have access to national forests and Wildlife areas all withing 3 hours drive. Start with a species and work your way from there... you will also need a non-resident hunting license and all the required tags or stamps for that species. Have you attended the class to receive your hunter safety permit yet?

niclas83

Ok, thank you. No, i don't have a hunter safety permit, i just have my swedish permits.
Where do i get me one of those?

Fishgunner

I suspected as much - You have some work to do Im afraid. Here is a list of Hunter Education classes in California. You will have to call and make reservations for a 10-hour class and pay $30 to receive a hunter safety permit which is good for a lifetime. At the class they will teach you many of the things you need to know to get started. After that you can purchase a license and tags/ stamps. You will have a better understanding for how it all works in California after you pass the class.. check the link to schedule a class:
https://www.register-ed.com/programs/california/160

niclas83

Awesome, thank you.
My brother is moving to CA, so 10h for a lifetime isn't that bad. [emoji4]

Awesome, thank you.
My brother is moving to CA, so 10h for a lifetime isn't that bad. [emoji4]

You can do a portion of the class online from home and then spend 3-4 hours to finish it up in the classroom session. Where I live, they are not offered very often, so you need to plan a month or more ahead.

As far as species goes, you have to make sure you understand the seasons and zones throughout the state, which is a bit complicated, at first. I think the State DFW website is getting better in this regard. Jack rabbits are open year round and don't require a tag (just license), so that is an easy one to start with. Pigs are also open all year, but require an over-the-counter tag. They can be very difficult to find on public land, so a paid/guided private land hunt is your best bet for pigs.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom