Hunter Ethics

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Let's say a property owner has given you permission to hunt their land. In getting that permission, you become aware that other hunters also have permission, and have been hunting the land for a few years. Amongst the other hunters, they have made up a 8pt. or better rule. You don't know these other hunters other than having a conversation with one. here's the question.....You don't know or hunt with these guys, but because they are hunters and have hunted the land previously, and have stands in premium areas.....Do you abide by the 8 pt or better rule that they have amongst their group, or do you just hunt the way you want to hunt? By the way, the landowner does not hunt.:target:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I've ran into this twice.  

On the 1st, the land ownder gave me permission to hunt on his land (where he didn't live) but later I found out he had also given permission to some guys and they had been hunting it for several years, even doing some work there.  They did it all, bow, gun hunt deer and turkeys......I declined to hunt there, didn't think it was fair to the guys and didn't think the landowner knew how important land to hunt on to us hunters was now-a-days.

The 2nd time, same thing, only these guys don't bow hunt so I told one of those guys I might be bowhunting there......    I wasn't sure if he liked it or not but I bowhunted there last year, didn't see any of them but patterned a good buck only to have them get it over gun season,  darn

Tinhorn

hucklburry

Reaction score
If you have permission, there isn't much they can do. Does the land owner think there are too many deer there? Could be all the other hunters do is buck hunt, and he wants more deer gone, which means a few does. One guy that gave us permissions really wants us to get a few to bring the deer numbers down. Last year we got 4 bucks, more because thats what we saw first than anything else. We assured him we are working on getting does, as that is the best way to cut the numbers down a bit. And we are really wanting to get some does out of there this year, 4 bucks was too much for that area last year.

If they are willing to let you use their stands when empty, I would surely go along. In fact, sounds like the beginning of some good things. But if your blocked out of a bunch of good spots then whats the use? I guess either do what you want, or follow their rule and see where it gets you. if they all went to the owner and complained about you, you would be out of there maybe...

--Jim

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
I would say that the landowner definately wants the herd drastically reduced. His attitude is kill  them all, in or out of season. It would be a good thing to get in on the more prime areas to hunt. By saying prime , I am meaning the routes to and from bedding to eating areas. Although I have seen deer in just about all areas here. I am not sure that where my stand is, is going to reduce my chance to get on a deer, buck or doe. My initial thoughts were to go along with what the other hunters have been doing. But, it is always good to get input from others, and I felt it is a good topic to discuss, for myself, as well as for others to read. Thanks for the input on this so far.
:target:

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Hideandwatch
 i would take whatever i felt was a trophy to me.talk to the landowner agian and see what his goals are,if he says he wants the herd thinned then take a doe and horn hunt like the others with your other tag. I would not let the other hunters self made rules ruin what might be a quality hunt to me,but an 8 point rule on private land is nice if everyone abided by it,and if the property is big enough,alot of times the property is not big enough to do a QDM,because the deer wander from place to place and get killed on other property where their is no QDM.bassically its your call.

Chairman

Reaction score
I'd first ask the landowner what his preferences were.  I wouldn't worry about what limitations the group imposed on themselves.  I'd say once you have the landowners blessing, it's pretty much up to you.  Besides, if you took a buck that was less than what the group is hunting, it wouldn't be any skin off their backs.

Another thing:  I found it odd that the landowner gave another hunter permission, since he already has a "group" of hunters on his property.  Maybe the "buck only" & buck limits they placed on themselves isn't helping the landowner achieve "his" goals....a thinner herd.

The answer to your question lies with the landowner....IMHO

Top Bottom