Hunter Liggett

Troggy92

Reaction score
How good is the hog hunting on Hunter Liggett these days?

BuckFinder

Reaction score
Beastslayer, Your too kind about Liggett! You could be dead on but that seems extremely high. Honestly, I would guess that if 150 guys were there each weekend (number could be 65 or 400+) that on a yearly average there would be 1-2 pigs per 150 hunters per weekend. I could be off, but my guess is that success ratios are between 1-4%. The problem with stats is that most of the hunters put down rabbit, coyote, pigs, quail, etc. etc, as the game they pursue so the numbers would not be completely accurate. If Rannie was still here she could give more detailed numbers. It's a big place and well, there are pigs out there somewhere. POR at 49%, now that's impressive!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'd say 3 or 4 pigs on a weekend would be the norm from my travels there. Sometimes a couple guys stumble into a big herd and whack 3 or 4 throwing the average off a bit.

Not sure how many guy that would be, most of the areas are open usually when I'm there so maybe 200 guys for the whole weekend? Most hunt Saturday and cut out at noon SUnday so really only a day and half for most. Rannie would know.

boarcrz

Reaction score
May be there can be two success ratios?
Your personal success and overall hunter ratio, I guess.
My first kill at FHL was after about 10 trips so you could say 10% success. I have put in many miles and have gone through several pairs of boots to get some idea about their general movement in particular corners of each area. Nowadays, I get one about every other hunt and I do about 6-7 trips a year.
I hunted FHL for a very long time and I found out that most of kills are claimed by the regulars whom had done their homework and some of them are on this board. And ofcourse occational lucky kills are short either. In my humble opinion of getting connected on game is like 10% skill and 90% luck and that 10% skill will determine the frequency of getting meat in the freezer.

Good hunting

boarcrz

Reaction score
hntboar-you're the living legend my man.

When will you be going out to liggett?
I'm thingking about Thanksgiving but depends on the weather as usual.

hntboar

Reaction score
boarcrz-
sounds good. i pretty much go every year at thanksgiving. i will be there friday night and hunt friday and saturday.

you in? let me know and we can hook up.

i hope to go before then, but depends on weather etc.

hntboar

Troggy92

Reaction score
I ask because I sure would like to hunt pigs more than once/year. I go to the Jack Ranch on guided hunts but I would love to do something a bit more inexpensive too.

boarcrz

Reaction score
Troggy,

I don't know how long you've been hunting pigs or time you spent at FHL but I can give you few pointers if you would like.
I had shown quite a few guys how to hunt pigs or how to hunt Liggett over the years.
Some of those guys became regulars since then. I try not to hunt pigs with new guys because of many sour experiences I had in the past but I think culture at JHO is different. Its all good here!

Shoot me an email.

Troggy92

Reaction score
Boarcrz

I have hunting pigs twice. The 1st time I saw no pigs at Liggett the last time which was thats year I got 2 with Marc at Jack Ranch.Ive been into hunting since I was 15. I lived in Maine for my sophmore year in HS and hunted squirrel. Thas when I got into hunting. Did not hunt much in CA due to not knowing any hunters so Ive done a bit of shooting. stopped hunting when I was 26(im 38 now)and just strted up again 3 years ago "for good". I have always loved pigs and would rather hunt then then most game. Im just looking for a cheap way to do as I wanna log many hours so when my son is old enough I can start him to keep this hunting life style alive. I have a marlin 336rc 35rem, a 44 mag and a Contender in .358jdj that I plan on making my main "Hog gun". ANY tips are welcome!

Top Bottom