Hunter that started Rim Fire charged.

Tuolumne

Reaction score
The U.S. Attorney’s Office has handed down charges against the hunter accused of starting last August’s Rim Fire.
Keith Matthew Emerald has been charged with two felonies, and two misdemeanors. The U.S. Attorney’s Office reports the felony charges are “Timber Set a Fire,” and “False Statement to a Government Agency.”
The misdemeanor charges are “Fire Left Unattended and Unextinguished” and “Violating a Fire Restriction Order.”
Emerald will be represented by Federal Defender Janet Bateman.
No further information is immediately available, but the U.S. District Attorney’s Office reports additional details will be released later today.

jimmmb

Reaction score
Agreed, it sucks. I saw this on the news today and they did not miss a chance to drop the word "Hunter" in front of the headline, every chance. I don't believe they would report "Camper" or "Fisherman" starts Rim Fire if that was the case.

hks95134

Banned
Reaction score
Saw this on the evening news locally tonight. They said he might get up to 5 years prison time.

While I don't favor prison time for this moron, I do favor a life time 50 state suspension of his hunting privileges at the very least.

Some kind of fine would be fine as well.

dchunter

Reaction score
Most likely going to end up in an orange vest but not for hunting. Just for cleaning up the roads and NF. That's my guess.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Most likely going to end up in an orange vest but not for hunting. Just for cleaning up the roads and NF. That's my guess.
Depends on when the ruling will be handed down and if it's an election year.

starcraft69

Reaction score
It turns out he was not even a hunter. he was cooking and burning trash. that why he is being charged with lying to a fed officer.

Calif_Mike

Reaction score
Still not buying it. I've been down in that country and really doubt anyone whould be down in there hunting in August. And if he was, why would he stop to burn trash while hunting?? the candy bar wrappers were too heavy to carry back out?

Now if someone was to say he was tending a pot garden, started the fire, got caught then told the cops he was hunting, I would buy that.

jimmmb

Reaction score
Still not buying it. I've been down in that country and really doubt anyone whould be down in there hunting in August. And if he was, why would he stop to burn trash while hunting?? the candy bar wrappers were too heavy to carry back out?
I don't know what to believe anymore either, but the Rim Fire started on August 17th which was the D6 archery opener...so it is entirely possible that people were hunting there that day.

Calif_Mike

Reaction score
Without a doubt the season was open. But also knowing that country, not sure why anyone would even think to walk into the hole thinking they would find a deer in August.

Tuolumne

Reaction score
It turns out he was not even a hunter. he was cooking and burning trash. that why he is being charged with lying to a fed officer.
Not true. He's a local guy, his whole family and him are hunters. He was hunting, he was warming a can of soup down by the clavey, decided to burn some paper trash, and embers got away from him. All she wrote.

There are all kinds of deer in that area, or were.

Last edited:

Tuolumne

Reaction score
Fresno, CA — The Columbia man accused of sparking the Rim Fire pled not guilty.
32-year-old Keith Emerald entered that plea in a Fresno federal court today. Magistrate Judge Gary S. Austin ordered Emerald to be kept in custody until posting his $60,000 bail. Emerald’s next court date is scheduled for October 14, when he will appear for a status conference before United States District Judge Anthony W. Ishii.
As reported earlier today, Emerald “self-surrendered” this morning. He is charged with two felony counts and two misdemeanors.

Rob4x4

Reaction score
He is a avid hunter and so is his family so I can see him hunting that area as they hunt hard and go off the beating path. Its a shame as I know him and went to school with him. The Emerald family are great people and have been long time Tuolumne county residents. Unfortunately he made a mistake and will have to pay for it.

iforge03

Reaction score
how come the forest service isnt under investigation? they created the problem. if it wasnt a camp fire, it would have been something else. the us forest service to be held accountable for their mismanagement of our forests. this poor guy is setup to take the blame.

Buzzerooni

Reaction score
It isn't a happy situation any way you look at it. I'm an avid hunter, but I'm also a trout fisherman and that fire burned out 3 of my favorite trout streams, and I do mean "burned out".
Many of the areas had full grown trees burned to the ground...

OU812

Reaction score
What's really sad is that they could have stopped it when it first began but they weren't allowed to drop retardent on it because it would have got into the Clavey River.

Top Bottom