Hunter's Moon?

Chairman

Reaction score
  I was watching the news awhile ago, when they referred to tonights moon as the "Hunter's Moon".  I tried to look up the significance of the Hunter's Moon on the Web, but all I could find was reference to a bunch of Pagan stuff.  Since the word "Hunter" is involved, I thought it "might" have something to do with hunting lore - go figure!?

So-o-o, does it have something to do with hunting lore?  I've heard of hunting according to the lunar cycles, but have never heard of a "Hunter's Moon" before.   Anybody care to tackle this question?

Thanks in advance,
Chairman

Matt in MO

Reaction score
No, I don't know any details, but I think the full moon in October is called the Hunter's moon. Maybe because it was a full moon the settlers could see the game better at night, which presumably was more active during the bright moonlit night. Since the MDC frowns on us hunting at night, and the theory on deer hunting is they move poorly during the daytime hours when there is a full moon, I wouldn't pick a full moon period for vacation to go hunting. Note we will have a new moon (dark) on Nov 15th - in the middle of gun deer season!

(Edited by Matt in MO at 3:53 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

Chairman

Reaction score
Hey, Matt - how ya' doin' ?  Thanks for the reply...

I received this response on another board.  I found it to be pretty interesting.  I thought I'd share it with you.  What do you think?

HISTORICAL FACTS ABOUT WHITETAIL DEER
Typically we deer hunter's believe we know a lot about the Whitetail and for good reason. The person that knows the Whitetail most typically spends more time pursuing them year round. I believe most of us would agree with this.

So you would have to agree that the American Indian would know more about the Whitetail than anyone.

The Whitetail Deer were harvested first and foremost for food & clothing, by the American Indian. (Halls, 1984)

The following information was gathered from these websites. http://members.tripod.com/~PHILKON/moons.html
http://www.treasure-troves.com

The American Indian gives special names to the full moons in each month. These are examples of the ones that deal with the Whitetail Deer.

Eastern Cherokee Moons
11th Moon = Harvest Moon
12th Moon = Hunting Moon

Cheyenne
November Moon = Deer Rutting Moon

Omaha
September Moon = Moon when deer paw the earth.

Sioux
December Moon = When deer shed their Horns

Cree
October Moon = Harvest Moon or Hunter's Moon
November Moon = Hunter's Moon

I believe the American Indian new more about when deer movement took place and tied it in with what was always their clock  - "The Moon" , because their lives depended on it.

Top Bottom