Huntin Kern

Fubar

Reaction score
Anybody like to hunt Kern National Wildlife refuge? Whats it like? I havnt been there for many years. If i remember right it was a free roam area. How hard is it to draw a Reservation? Do you need one or can you get a on without one?             Thanx  Fubar

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Fubar
I just called up there today. They are having an open house on September 22. Reps from DU, CWA, Audobon Soc., etc will be there. The ranger also said the FWS personnel will be giving talks throughout the day. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. It might be a good way to meet some of the personnel and learn about the area.

As far as my limited hunting knowledge of the area goes, you need a resi or get in the sweat line, it's a tough draw best bet is to put in the season long application. There are some assigned blinds and also open areas. I was only able to hunt there once last season. Oh yeah you can hunt on Wednesdays and Saturdays, If I remember right they had a 4 or 5 bird avg. last year.
Stephan

Fubar

Reaction score
karstic   Thanx for the info.      Fubar

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add, If you call the refuge they will mail you a flyer for the Open House.

Joe

Reaction score
I attended the waterfowl Expo last year and it was GREAT!!! I would highly recommend anyone who is interested about the Kern, waterfowl hunting, or the like to attend.  Dave Hardt (Manager) and partners put on a great field day.  The hunting there is also pretty good (very consistant)!

WingSetter

Reaction score
It is very hard to draw a reservation for this refuge. I can't remember the exact number of res cards that they issue out, it's something like 20.  Out of the past several years of sending res cards for this refuge the Norm seems to be about 1 draw per year if your lucky.  It has pretty good hunting if you can get into the place.  You will shoot a poupori of ducks divers, and puddlers.  There is free roam once you pick your spot in the A.M. (1, 1A etc, etc) keep in mind that there is only two parking lots.  Most of the area's have a long walk or wade to your spot.  Also having a boat is very good as some of the area's are too deep to wade into.  Once all resvervations are checked in they will start calling names from the sweat line.  Once capacity is filled and your name did not get called you have two options go home or wait in the parking lot.  They will let a hunter in for every one that goes out.  I think the cut-off to get in is 1:00, after that no hunters wil be allowed.  If you need advise on where to hunt ask one of the wardens there, they usually know where all the birds are being shot.  Most of them have vast knowledge of the refuge, and will be able to tell you if you can wade in or use a boat.   Good Luck  

Top Bottom