Hunting alone?

sertshark

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you guys hunt by yourself. Although it has always been more fun to share the moment with a good buddy, I now like the solitude of getting out there and being alone with my thoughts at times. I never used to enjoy going out alone, be it fishing or hunting, but the last few years my work schedule changed, so I ended up going out alone. I look forward to it now because I feel like I need that time to get out there and let that busy mind sort out what is, and what isn't important in life. No work. No chores. No traffic. No bills. No budget crisis. It's very therapeutic.

Sometimes I still prefer to get out there with a good buddy or two, but I've found there is something nice about the solitude. I was just wondering how many of you spend any time at all out there by yourself.

cc93cruiser

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you guys hunt by yourself. Although it has always been more fun to share the moment with a good buddy, I now like the solitude of getting out there and being alone with my thoughts at times. I never used to enjoy going out alone, be it fishing or hunting, but the last few years my work schedule changed, so I ended up going out alone. I look forward to it now because I feel like I need that time to get out there and let that busy mind sort out what is, and what isn't important in life. No work. No chores. No traffic. No bills. No budget crisis. It's very therapeutic.

Sometimes I still prefer to get out there with a good buddy or two, but I've found there is something nice about the solitude.
AMEN...
Risky, but nevertheless peaceful.. I think the main thing when you are out by your lonesome is to stay focused.. Especially in bear country...Don't want one of those suckers creepin up on you... l8tr

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
I do most of my hunting solo. Although its nice to have a partner(s) for comradere, and packing, some times you just got to go alone. Everyone should do a week long solo backpacking trip, its good for the mind ,body, and soul.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Mostly solo. Although success is measured in many ways, I tend to actually find more game when I am alone. I don't have to worry about the other person, I can be more flexible if I find sign and want to change my plans, etc.

youngr24

Reaction score
I hunt alone but have a camp full of guys to come back to when road side camping. When I hike in and hunt I have a hunting partner but we still go out on our own and meet back at camp when the day is done. I would say that the time alone in the woods during deer season gets me though the rest of the year.

559hog

Reaction score
About 80% of my hunt is solo. There's something special about being able to bag game by yourself. It fills an unnecessary void in me.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
90% alone, the other 10% is called to help carry some loads.

fishnhunt

Reaction score
I prefer to hunt solo but I spend about 20% of my time hunting with others

Orygun

Reaction score
About 60-40 in the past few years. Trying to spend more time with my dad so I have been planning my hunts with him when possible. Bit even then we hunt solo during the day much of the time.

I'll second going solo in the backcountry, even if it's just for a couple of days.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
I probably hunt solo 50% of the time. Usually weekends with a friend but during the week, after work, I usually go by myself. When I do go by myself I "ALWAYS" call and tell a friend where I am headed.

fishnhunt

Reaction score
I probably hunt solo 50% of the time. Usually weekends with a friend but during the week, after work, I usually go by myself. When I do go by myself I "ALWAYS" call and tell a friend where I am headed.
Thats a great idea one I always follow...Plus I usually carry my rhino to make locating my dead body easier.

Reaction score
Most of the time I hunt alone........I'd say 99%

Scout alone, hunt alone........party with friends at home.

Thats just me

slanttop357

Reaction score
Do not forget one emportant thing tell someone where your going and when you should return. you never know.:smiley_doh:

Last edited:

map

Reaction score
I was blessed with a boy late in life, so I don't get a chance to hunt alone very often. When I do hunt alone, I enjoy every minute of it. Half as much noise and half as much ordor, plus it's hard to get a teenage to sit in one place.

M

Mule_Deer_Dreamin

Being the mountain man that I am, I feel I am most deadly when hunting alone. Not just because it is more quiet, less odor, etc.. but rather the focus and human instinct that gives me the desire to be the top predator.

coothunter

Reaction score
I hunt deer alone about 80% of the time. I love the solitude and flexibility to change plans. My only problem is that I don't always know where I will be (because I change plans frequently). This drives my wife crazy. I know it is unwise to not let people know where I will be.

blazintowers

Reaction score
Im a loner too. Don't have to answer to anybody but myself. Set my own pace, much higher concentration, peace and serenity. I love it! Although I will only have one or two more years all to myself because my almost 3 year old boy is already saying "dada go hunt deer?" I think I will reallly enjoy teacing him about the outdoors the same way my dad did. Hopefully we will have a liitle better sucees rate than my dad did with three boy's under age 10 under his feet! Still remeber those days like it was yesterday! :)

.300Savage

Reaction score
i had the same issue last year with off work scheduleing and not only did i spend about 50% of season hunting alone but, also in new areas. i uess it makes you stay sharper and more flexable. i had never hunted solo more than going for a sneak by my self while camp was napping but, it wasn't as bad as i though and i got to hunt so i will do it again.

Top Bottom