Hunting Clubs

Bodie

Reaction score
I am looking for a club to hunt pheasants.  However, I know very little about any of the clubs in my area.  I live in Dixon and have been looking at Quail Point Preserve, Hastings Island, Richomond Hunting Club and Knight's Landing Sportsman's Club.  

Has anyone hunted any of these places or any other places within a hours+ drive of Dixon?  If so I would like to hear about your experiences and if you recommend any of them.

Also, I have a new lab pup (11months).  This will be his first hunting season.  Are some clubs set up better then other for new dogs?

hntndux

Reaction score
If your main intent is to put alot of birds in front of your dogs nose, then Hastings is a great place to start.  The only problem is, the season is already open and the prices are higher(about $500 for a 20 bird card).  I've hunted Knight's Landing also and have had some pretty good shoots there.  I've always hunted the main area and not the river farms section.  They do plant birds and if you can get out during the week you might do pretty good.  The prices is also reasonable, I think it's about $120.

I thought about joining KL this year, but the last few years the duck hunting and striper fishing have stole the show.  Good luck!

Ponscm

Reaction score
Bodie:  
I suggest you stop wasting time at work and concentrate on getting us more pigeons so we can train our pups this week!

Good to see you finally made it here....

(Edited by Ponscm at 12:13 pm on Oct. 2, 2001)

Whoadog

Reaction score
 With good trained dogs I would take quail Point over all of them.  I always kill well over what I had planted so it works out great.  If you have a young dog the bird card may be the way to go.  I went with a friend to Suisun Marsh on Saturday and they were all roosters that flew very well unlike some of the birds I have hunted at preserves that don't fly, which means the dog may catch the birds and at 20+ a bird that is no fun.  When I hunt Quail Point I always get bobwhite quail because they are good flyers and usually don't fly out of the field if they are not shot, and when training a young dog i don't have to worrry about them catching them.
 Let me know if you guys get in a pinch and need pigeons I have a barn I can catch some for you.

Brian

Bodie

Reaction score
Ponscm,

If your damn dog hadn't stolen so many pigeons out of my trap last week we would have more!!!  Perhaps if you would have got off your lazy butt and force broke him by now he wouldn't have dropped each bird and let them fly away before I got a chance to take the bird from him.  Also, what is he doing self-initiating retrieves witout any commands?  Perhaps you need to do some training!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I'm spending all of my time at work right now working overtime to have more hunting funds.  

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Work hard for only two more weeks and should have enough $$ and time off to hunt through the season!

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Hey Bodie,
 Quail point is the best. I've hunted there for about 4 years. I don't buy a card, I just do the day shoots. You can pay the $60 or so for 3 Pheasant, and then after 10:00am you can go to another field that had quail or chukar planted and try for them. The best thing is that all the day shoots are basically shoot outs, if it flies it dies and it doesn't cost you anymore. My friend and I went there last year, had 3 pheasants planted a piece. We ended up shooting a total of 21 birds, 11 pheasants 7 quail and 3 chukar. I always end up getting a mixed bag hunting here. You'll love it. I'm going to try and get over there on the 13th if I don't have to work. If you go look for a red toyota truck 4x4 with a wilderness unlimited sticker in the back window, we'll hook up and do some hunting.

Mel

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Just to clarify at Quail Point it is after 10:30 that you can go into any field.  You can upset the slow people if you don't abide by that.

Brian

hntndux

Reaction score
Where's Quail Point?  Sounds like a pretty good club.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 They consider it Zamora, it is on Road 14 just west of Interstate 505.  It is only 10 mintutes from my house in Woodland so it would probably take about a half an hour from Sacramento.

Brian

Ponscm

Reaction score
Take the Zamora mini mart exit on I-5 and go west.  It is right by RH Phillips winery.  I have been there once hunting quail and it was a lot of fun.  Like a lot of other places, we could see the quail running around on the ground ahead of us at times, but a good time nonetheless.  We flushed a few pheasants as well, but unfortunatly it was after pheasant season.

duckman2000

Reaction score
Quail point is the way to go.I've been hunting with gary since he had a little piece of land on the east side of 505.he is a great guy.the thing i like most is if you get a day shoot it is a shoot out every time.plus there is no tick's like at birds landing or hastings.if you have some question's about your dog gary will take you out back and show you hands on what to do.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I was probably hunting right along with you Duckman things sure have changed from when Gary had a couple dozen to a couple hunderd, it is because he is a great guy.  When I first got into training pointing dogs, about 12 years ago I was out at Gary's most Saturday's absorbing all I could and he was great.

Brian

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Has anyone ever hunted the Pheasant Valley Hunting CLub out of Farmington?  Thoughts...

Richard

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking around for hunting clubs that hunt duck, bigame, turkey.  Already looked into W.U. and have no comment about W.U. at this time.  Any input would be helpful.

Thank yOu

hntndux

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to spend...  I used to belong to Bucks and Ducks a few years ago and it was pretty good.  As of right now they only have 1 duck property and 3 deer properties with a max of 60 members.  Duck hunting is either poor or great, no in between.  The deer properties are excellent and two of them are great for bear.  One of the properties has just recently had a few pigs taken also.  Dues right now are $750 per year and there's currently a waiting list.  The reason I dropped out is because I get deer on public land every year and $750 was too much for mediocre duck hunting.  I am thinking about rejoining though just to avoid the crowds and they're currently looking into another duck lease.  The last two bucks I took on club property I was the only one hunting and had 5,000 acres (B3) to myself.  My buddy (still in the club) got his two bucks this year (B4-2,000ac and B1-20,000ac) and never had more than 4 other guys hunting.

d trees

Reaction score
hey hntndux how can I get some info on B&D are they on the web, thnx d

surfguy

Reaction score
I've hunted Knight's Landing 8 years running, Black Point the year before that (new pup and my oldest's first year) and I took my youngest son and a neighbor's boy to Quail Point for a day hunt last year; taking my chances on the State and Fed property this year.
Anyway, if Knight's Landing is what it has been over the last three years, the acreage is going down the fields in grow will be gone this weekend or for sure by next weekend. The ditches you work will get cut-off midway by some group of morons that don't "realize" you're "going all the way to the end"... and there will be miles of acreage you can't hunt that you could have three years ago. Other than that it's a good deal for the money. Put on your boots and walk DEEP into some of the back fields and you'll do ok.
Black Point has lousy cover, the birds walk back to the pens as soon as they get over "the spins".. but they trade you a GREAT smoked bird for yours and $5.00 in cash.
Quail Point has very good cover, altough it tends towards quail and dove cover for my tastes. All in all, a good shoot, though. Just remember to tell 'em that your dog knows how to hunt, so they won't tag the busheswhere they planted the birds.
I ran my pointer over TONS of birds the weekend before season at one of the reserves and then got blanked after duck hunting Sunday morning last weekend. Too cocky, I guess. We'll get 'em, I'll have to go pheasant hunting in the morning and hope the wind comes up in the P.M. fillin / free roam areas.
Good luck to you

Top Bottom