Hunting Colorado

David

Reaction score
I am considering a position in the Denver area, but having a difficult time making a decision.  The job sound fine, but I don't know a thing about the hunting in Colorado.  I'm primarily a upland game hunter with a little waterfowl thrown in for good measure.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Z-man

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to hunt colorado yet, but I have vacationed several times in the last 2 years.  From the guys I have talked to at local stores in the Springs area there is some pheasant hunting throughout the state.  They said the good news is Kansas is only a couple hours away.  As far as waterfowl, I was there at Christmas time and I saw a ton of Canadian Geese.  I took a drive up to Cabelas in Nebraska and could barely stay on the road.  I had to keep looking up at all the birds.  A lot different than So-Cal.  Lots of Big game hunting too!  Hope this helped!

Jay

Reaction score
Got a buddy in Denver.

Tons of geese overwinter along the South Platte river to the NE of Denver. Plenty of goose hunting leases to be had.

Doves can be had along the river bottoms.

Depending on the weather, ducks can hang around or move through pretty quickly. Mainly mallards.

The plains of eastern CO are pretty high and dry although pheasants and grouse can be found. A five hour drive puts you in the heart of either Kansas or Nebraska which are both great pheasant states. The area around McCook in the lower SW corner of Nebraska can be real good also, however there's not much public land there.

Don't forget the national treasure in Sidney Nebraska........ Cabela's. A great place to dump a lot of cash during the off season.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I thought Denver was a dump.  It was dirty and the traffic would rival Los Angeles's traffic on a good day.  You get out into Colorado Springs (south) or Fort Collins (north) and you're talking living.

These guys said it.  I had always pictured Colorado as all mountains, but there's lots of plains and good bird hunting.  Brother-in-law lives in Fort Collins and it's beautiful there.  Maybe an hour or so drive from Estes Park.  I was up there for 4 days at the end of July and I saw elk, deer, coyotes, pheasants, dove, quail, and rabbits.  And I also made the trek to Cabela's.  I can now die a happy man.  

I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could find work.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom