Hunting Dog For Upland Game

Oso357

Reaction score
Can you only train certain breeds of dogs to hunt upland game? Also, do they have to be puppies to learn? Or can an adult dog be trained as well?

jbv

Reaction score
Soo...
Most people...not all people..use dogs who are bred for hunting due to characteristics you might want.ie Pointing, fetching, prey drive, good nose. I have heard of people using non hunting breeds and doing just fine. It all Depends on the dog.
You can teach older dogs..but just like people. The older you get the harder it is to learn. “You can’t teach old dogs new tricks.” Make sense? I am sure you can teach an older dog. But a young dog is a lot for adept to learning.

Just my .2 cents

k-thug

Reaction score
The dog regardless of breed needs to have the hunting instinct and drive embedded in its DNA. Like a human that “just isn’t in to it” a dog is the same. That’s why hunting dogs are bread from parents who are hunters themselves. It’s the only way to positively pass on that trait. However, some dogs who are mutts have a little hunting passion in them that is somewhere in their DNA and can be taught, but it’s partially natural. We had a short little dog growing up that was a pure mutt, but that little bastard used to fetch dove like a world champion. Besides my dad feeding him a cold Budlight, the dog would fetch the birds on his own. He was definitely an exception to the rule.

quaildeath

Reaction score
If a dog has high toy or food drive, but without strong prey drive I believe they still can be taught to hunt. Canines are animals who have hunting DNA in them naturally.

If the dog has no toy or food drive, good luck.

My first dog was almost all shepherd, Malinois, Collie and German.
That dog had such strong toy drive and smart, I have no doubt she could have been taught to retrieve and maybe point.

Personally, I think it would be epic seeing a mutt on point and retreiving.

Oso357

Reaction score
I currently have a Boston/Rat Terrier. She loves to chase things but I'm not sure how good her nose is. Any tips on how to try to get her started?

k-thug

Reaction score
Take her out in the field and see what she does. The biggest issue with older dogs is dealing with them being gun shy. Take her to play in an area around a skeet range. There is a good book called “Gun Dog” I think. It would be good reading material for you. Good luck!

quaildeath

Reaction score
Get a game bird wing and tie to a string like a cat toy.
Play with her with that to see if she is interested....

Oso357

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Will be trying all of those things. Do the dogs usually help with multiple kinds of upland game? Or do you focus your dog on one type of bird? I'm looking to hunt quail, dove, and attempt to hunt pheasant and chukar.

Sarghunter

Reaction score
The Gal who trained my. 2nd Lab had a Jack Russel terrior. on her truck she would bring out to training days.

I watch this little pup launch into ponds and speed boat across the pond and retrieve a Duck

It was incredible to watch

Farallon

Reaction score
In my experience, one doesn’t train a dog to hunt, one trains a dog to obey while hunting.

Dogs either want to hunt, or they do not. Some former hunting breeds have had hunting bred out of them. I have met an Irish setter and two golden retrievers who had no desire to hunt.

Training a hunting dog is more about obedience.

If a dog wants to hunt, a goal is to train the dog to ignore rodents and hunt birds.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom