Hunting during weather (rain/snow)

SW011

Reaction score
Hi all! Been tracking the weather for the D3-5 opener this weekend, and it looks like we'll be getting some rain (and even snow at higher elevations) starting Saturday afternoon, and through the night. Should be cleared up by morning on Sunday. I've heard a ton about how this is prime hunting weather, but this will be my first time actually hunting it. Anyone have any tips or strategies on how to hunt rain/snow days?

ak_o_sniper

Reaction score
Stay dry. What I mean by that is to dress in layers, shed layers as needed and add layers as needed. Try not to sweat as much because it is harder to get dry. Sit your spots longer, the deer are just like us, they get cold and wet also. They get up a little later than usual with weather.

Bubblehide

Reaction score
I don't hunt those zones, so I am not sure if they are Blacktail or not. Assuming they are, with snow or even cold rain, they will be on the move, and starting to migrate. Granted, that migration is not likely to be completed. But the more you know about their routes, the better off you might be.

imperial valley hunter

Reaction score
When it rains in my zone it’s awesome. Right after the rain moves The animals come out and enjoy the newly washed desert grounds. We get fresh track to follow, the deer come out to dry themselves, so it’s always good to get up high and glass the desert. And yes stay dry like mentioned above. Good luck

canamrider07

Reaction score
Besides everything else, have a lens cloth in your pocket to dry the scope lens.

dthome

Reaction score
Just saw this post. The snow in D3-5 made for some amazing hunting. Hunt during and after bad weather.

OPAH

Reaction score
Just a quick tid bit, pick up a XX large paper painters cover alls, they make great snow camo, help keep you dry and warm and are very light and compact able.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
During is a great time to still hunt into thicker areas were the deer hole up but even when weather is helping to mask sound, smell and movement the deer are hard to see before they know you are around.
It's fun, if you hunt during storms don't get wet or worn out enough to miss the calm after.

Limited Out

Reaction score
I just sprayed my waterfowl shotguns with this SC1 silicone spray. It helps keep mud and crud from sticking to your guns. This is my first use of this stuff. It makes the camo dip look like new. I think it will be a good preventive maintenance measure in keeping my guns working while slogging around in the mud.

Top Bottom