Hunting for the right reasons!

pacific ghost

Reaction score
Tired of hearing people complain about dog bans. Your probably going to hate this but someone needs to say it, I think its good they dont let people use dogs for bears. Oh yea 3-5 dogs surround a bear and it climbs a tree, oohh now thats hunting. Hunt the bear one on one, no cheating what is this the east cost with food plots and crap! I saw 5 black bear last year in trinity without a dog! Dont get me wrong I'm a huge hunter but I think if your good enough and have the skills you can still get one. The bear has relied on its skills to survive through the toughest of times and how to stay alive and find food, we have gotten lazy by relying on things like dogs and fancy ways to trick animals, our ancestors had all those skills way back when to survive, hunt, and live with much less, and now we've lost those skills. I'm sure your all going to love this to, but In my mind all animals shot on private land or off a food plot, or bait should not be allowed in any record book. People have forgotten the meaning of hunting, its for food and to feed your family not for some stupid A$% record to go in a book or to tell everyone how much you killed this year. Alot of people hunt for the wrong reason and i'm just tired of it. you wonder why so many people are against it.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Well this will open up a can of worms for sure brother but let me indulge, everyone deserves there day of rants here on JHO.
Yes I am a food hunter and provider not a sporting hunter. as far as the use of dogs to hunt with for bear its not my cup of tea I like the excitement and danger factor of hunting wild dangerous game (With a Bow And With Out The Aid Of Dogs Or Guns Too )for that matter, but on the other hand for me I don't look at wild pigs as the same class of a bear, u might say its doubled standard butt pigs are invasive and should be eradicated by any legal hunting means possible even with the use of dogs. I don't know the history behind the use of dogs for hunting but I am sure a lot of hunters where traditionally raised to hunt with dogs through the generations and a part of their heritage so I won't knock them for that. They might think me hunting with a bow is not fair, who knows.
When i was young i was a crack shot with a gun and was killing everything legal possible with no regard till i realized one day it was to easy not fair or challenging anymore. and almost stopped hunting until i discovered THE BOW! Yes I truly believe I personally hunt for the right reasons myself with the intent with giving the game animal I pursue the fairest chances of still of avoiding my freezer and dinner table by being a bowhunter without the use of dogs or guns butt that's just me.
It won't be too long from now when I won't hunt with my compound bow and laser range finder anymore and just strictly use my Trad Bow Instinctively like our forefathers did to hunt with for years successfully to survive. How much fairer can u get!....tra

motor-vater

Reaction score
yes its true, your opinion is the only thing that matters, your will should be thrust upon the people and they should be forced to obey. wait that allready happened. truth be told everyone has their own sense of self rightiousness and every time a new law is passed more freedoms are lost. Bear hunting with dogs is only sportsman like for the dogs, everyone knows that. but some of these dogs have been bred and trained specifically for the task and to them they love to hunt probably more then any of us. In the absence of hunting what is to become of these breeds, their breeders, trainers, etc.

Before you hall off and get you panties to much in a bunch, just know in general I agree with u, especially on baited big game. Only difference isI could give 2 craps about what anyone else is doing with there life and freedoms.

64ssking

Reaction score
i like to stalk my game than jump on it and break its neck so there is no pain!

64ssking

Reaction score
i like to stalk my game than jump on it and break its neck so there is no pain! jk

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
A whole lot of people served this country (for a whole lot of different reason), so the OP could not only have his opinion, but also express it.

I for one am ready to move on.

inchr48

Reaction score
What about bird hunting with dogs? What about coursing rabbits with sighthounds? All these dogs were bred by humans to capture game, long before firearms were used. By banning hunting methods little by little, our hunting environment slowly shrinks and ultimately we will be unable to enjoy the persuit of game. I don't see how you can be so against it and still call yourself a "hunter". So it's not something you would enjoy, so don't do it. I don't raccoon hunt with dogs, but I know it is a very big deal in many parts of the country. I would defend to the end any legal hunting method, since eliminating one, hurts us all.
JMTCW

Rodburner

Reaction score
Tired of hearing people complain about dog bans. Your probably going to hate this but someone needs to say it, I think its good they dont let people use dogs for bears. Oh yea 3-5 dogs surround a bear and it climbs a tree, oohh now thats hunting. Hunt the bear one on one, no cheating what is this the east cost with food plots and crap! I saw 5 black bear last year in trinity without a dog! Dont get me wrong I'm a huge hunter but I think if your good enough and have the skills you can still get one. The bear has relied on its skills to survive through the toughest of times and how to stay alive and find food, we have gotten lazy by relying on things like dogs and fancy ways to trick animals, our ancestors had all those skills way back when to survive, hunt, and live with much less, and now we've lost those skills. I'm sure your all going to love this to, but In my mind all animals shot on private land or off a food plot, or bait should not be allowed in any record book. People have forgotten the meaning of hunting, its for food and to feed your family not for some stupid A$% record to go in a book or to tell everyone how much you killed this year. Alot of people hunt for the wrong reason and i'm just tired of it. you wonder why so many people are against it.
I don't hunt bear i don't even have a dog but if you don't understand DEVIDE AND CONQUER we are all screwed keep playing into their hands and we will be the first non hunting state

BFR

Reaction score
P-G you may not realize it but .......as our ancestors who first used dogs to hunt game. Or are you talking about the cave man? He used rocks and sticks and all the men and boys in the tribe to surround an animal and beat it to death. Or the later ones who developed spears, bows, crossbows or guns?

I've used dogs for bird hunting but not big game, guess I was LAZY because I let a dog locate and retrieve my birds.

Like incher, I will support ANY legal method, whether I use it or not.

You said you are a "huge hunter", so since your complaint seems to be about dogs and hunting, I'm going to make an assumption that you....DON'T use a firearm, but hunt with rocks or maybe a spear, that you DON'T use a modern knife, but use a piece of flint or obsidian to dress and skin it.............well you get my drift.

JohnCo

Reaction score
"Tired of hearing people complain...."

Yep. Me too.

mtnsammy

Reaction score
I recently watched a show with an old man learning to be a Viking. Yeah whatever, but I did see in Europe where they use the dogss of several different breeds to hunt. They find a pile of dung, analyze it, find the right pile then send the hounds after that one deer. If the deer run too fast other runner or roundup dogs arre used to chase the game back towards the hunter. Then in the end a 145# bow was used? WOW I have a hard time with a 50# bow since my surgery but these guys were serious about getting one specific animal and they used old school methods to find it.

Now if that isn't enough reason to allow dogs I do not know what is. Yes many abuse the tools. I am embarrassed with the new breed of elk hunters shooting at 1200 yards to 1800 yards. I watched a young teen with his dad and about $20,000 worth of equipment take an elk at over 1500 yards. By the time the kid got to the downed animal he lost all interest in the hunt. The father made a good example of teaching one to kill. I like the sport of overcoming mother nature, the game and hopefully soon picking out a specific animal to hunt. The end kill is not so much a part for me as I practice my shooting enough I know I can take the shot and give the animal a merciful end. I prefer 50-150yard shots as it make the hunt more difficult.

The use of dogs to tree or trap an animal is no different then the morons using 10-20 noisemakers to scare the game up a hill for the one hunter with a tag. At least the dogs and hawks all have to have a hunting license too. Or at least they used to have to have a hunt license. Sending hounds off with a GPS collar to tree a bear and eventually catching up to the signal to kill the bear is not a hunt. Then again the sponsor of the bill was from downtown LA and there were no dogs used for hunting in his district. I think he should mind the problems in his own yard first.

sancho

Reaction score
i'm for all types of hunting. blessed hunting. go for it, if it is legal.

if i dont like any particular type of hunting..i just wont do it. i wont chase hounds chasing bears either. i'm too slow, dogs are too fast :)

no really.

anyways back on topic. OP, where do you draw the line? a similar arguement will go on forever as long as there are folks to talk about it. what about bowhunting versus rifle hunting? i think rifle hunting is easy!! there i said it. crossbows? goofy..just a glorified rifle with an arrow!

i joke about ^^all of that. but seriously, where do you draw the line? a guy with a primitive bow and wooden arrows will surely think i am cheating with my compound bow and carbon fiber arrows. same debate..just a different level.

sancho

Reaction score
i do love watching tv shows with hunters wearing full camo, sitting in a box blind. hell, i'd wear a clown outfit..NOTHING CAN SEE YOU..

if i was a long range shooter, i would wear blue jeans, and a bright red MTV t-shirt..hehe. camo if you need to get close.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
My dad taught me this phrase when I was a little boy. "To each his own". It's a phrase I now live by. It's a phrase I've now passed down to my children.

Last edited:

mr sunset

Reaction score
My dad taught me this phrase when I was a little boy. "To each his own". It's a phrase I now live by. It's a phrase I've now passed down to my children.
+1 Everyone has there own way. just cuz you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. just means you don't like it. put it in the complaint section.

Felq

Reaction score
anyways back on topic. OP, where do you draw the line? a similar arguement will go on forever as long as there are folks to talk about it. what about bowhunting versus rifle hunting? i think rifle hunting is easy!! there i said it. crossbows? goofy..just a glorified rifle with an arrow!

i joke about ^^all of that. but seriously, where do you draw the line? a guy with a primitive bow and wooden arrows will surely think i am cheating with my compound bow and carbon fiber arrows. same debate..just a different level.
I want to hunt only for food, eventually with a recurve, but I will use a rifle until I get the skills and experience. 1000+yds is an insane distance to shoot any animal, and definitely crosses my ethical line. But to give your son experience? Is that ok? Personally, I would teach my son the skills to get close for an ethical kill, but then again, elk are large animals, and maybe you value marksmanship training over the outdoorsman approach to hunting...

On the dog topic, I want to get a Ridgeback in January. I plan to train it well, hike with it, and take it out for hunts. The MOTIVATION to bring my dog on the hunt isn't for an easier kill, but rather to have a healthy relationship and activity to do with my dog. The training and time in the field is also work put toward hunting. Furthermore, a dog is good defense... but the MOTIVATION for hunting with dogs should not be confused for being making hunting easier. I would argue that most dog hunters value the time they spend training their dog, the happiness of their dog, and the thrill that they both share while using their friendship to legally take an animal.

5 hounds on one bear is like shooting an elk from 1500yds. Those activities cross my ethical line, though there is a lot of training that it takes to do both. The line should be drawn by good hunters' ethics, and we as a group of hunters should all protect our sport from unethical hunters. If I saw a guy with 5 dogs going for any animal but hogs in Texas, I'd laugh, but probably not have the balls to call him out if I were alone. Many hunters drawing the line is different!

Last edited:

shoottime

Reaction score
The same arguements can be made for the various methods for fishing. Many hunters are also fishermen, and we all have our favorite methods, some are strictly fly, others are bait, and some lures. Some people catch and release while others are catch and kill. I for one will fish any of the three standard methods, and release the majority of the fish but will kill a occasional catch for the dinner table. We, as sportsmen, need to stand together and stick up for each others rights regardless of our personal beliefs on methods of take. Once the government takes something away, it is harder than h-ll to get it back. The anti's love to see us divided on issues like this, it makes their "job" of taking our rights away and forcing their beliefs on us all that much easier. We need to look at the big picture and accept the various methods of take and stick together and show solidarity.

slanttop357

Reaction score
There you go he opened his trap and is gone, dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. This is for when you come back. Ask me if i care.

Top Bottom