Hunting for the right reasons!

DuckDynasty

Reaction score
The same arguements can be made for the various methods for fishing. Many hunters are also fishermen, and we all have our favorite methods, some are strictly fly, others are bait, and some lures. Some people catch and release while others are catch and kill. I for one will fish any of the three standard methods, and release the majority of the fish but will kill a occasional catch for the dinner table. We, as sportsmen, need to stand together and stick up for each others rights regardless of our personal beliefs on methods of take. Once the government takes something away, it is harder than h-ll to get it back. The anti's love to see us divided on issues like this, it makes their "job" of taking our rights away and forcing their beliefs on us all that much easier. We need to look at the big picture and accept the various methods of take and stick together and show solidarity.
+1

Mlindsay

Reaction score
My two cents on this issue. At first I didn't care about the ban since I don't hunt with dogs. However after talking to a few dog runners it makes since to me. Let's say you're hunting and sour a nice size bear from 200 yards out make a great shot and only after getting to your kill you come to find out that you've shoot a wet sow. Now you have a cub or two that will die.
With dogs treeing that animal the hunters can now pick and choose rather they should shoot or not.
I feel that in the hands of the right hunters dogs for bear hunting is great for sport.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Common Sense

Reaction score
Personally I don't use dogs (cause I am a road hunter). To each his own.

thewolfman

Reaction score
I like to hear what PG thinks of all the comments...I don't hunt with dogs but I m OK as long as its legal.....hello PG...where u go buddy??.. the can of worm has been opened...haha

sancho

Reaction score
Personally I don't use dogs (cause I am a road hunter). To each his

own.
LOL!!

personally, has a diehard shotgunner..i think those falconers are lazy SOB's!! JK...one day, i want a bird of prey to land on my gloved hand..and i send it after a poor tasty bird..just once. i'll blast the rest of them with a gang of tiny pellets. all legit-like.

BFR

Reaction score
Guess he was hoping for more "if you don't hunt MY way you are bad and shouldn't hunt" responses. Either that or Ghostbusters got him:confused:

Rodburner

Reaction score
I don't know much about hunting bear with dogs but i am thinking if you used i dog the dog would be dead before you got there i think they use muliple dogs to confuse the bear so he can't zero in on one dog i could be wrong here but makes sence to me anyway
I want to hunt only for food, eventually with a recurve, but I will use a rifle until I get the skills and experience. 1000+yds is an insane distance to shoot any animal, and definitely crosses my ethical line. But to give your son experience? Is that ok? Personally, I would teach my son the skills to get close for an ethical kill, but then again, elk are large animals, and maybe you value marksmanship training over the outdoorsman approach to hunting...

On the dog topic, I want to get a Ridgeback in January. I plan to train it well, hike with it, and take it out for hunts. The MOTIVATION to bring my dog on the hunt isn't for an easier kill, but rather to have a healthy relationship and activity to do with my dog. The training and time in the field is also work put toward hunting. Furthermore, a dog is good defense... but the MOTIVATION for hunting with dogs should not be confused for being making hunting easier. I would argue that most dog hunters value the time they spend training their dog, the happiness of their dog, and the thrill that they both share while using their friendship to legally take an animal.

5 hounds on one bear is like shooting an elk from 1500yds. Those activities cross my ethical line, though there is a lot of training that it takes to do both. The line should be drawn by good hunters' ethics, and we as a group of hunters should all protect our sport from unethical hunters. If I saw a guy with 5 dogs going for any animal but hogs in Texas, I'd laugh, but probably not have the balls to call him out if I were alone. Many hunters drawing the line is different!

wthrbyman

Reaction score
I have read all the replies and it warms me to know that all of these people are coming together on this issue while not bashing the thread starter about his/her beliefs. I think we all have our own ways to hunt. I agree with FarmerDoug, To each their own. Do some bears have a better chance, you bet they do.I don't hunt bear because I don't like the taste. But I believe that CA has a quota and once the quota is reached, bear season closes. The use of dogs or lack there of, I believe, will not change the number of bears harvested. I also like what Mlindsay had to say about the issue. You can be more aware of the animal that you harvest.

Stonepointer

Reaction score
I am primarily a primitive food hunter... that is, when I even get the opportunity to go hunting.

Most of the time I will use a bow I either made or at least tillered myself.

I do not use dogs, however I don't like seeing dogs denied the opportunity to go hunting.

When dogs first came to our sides some long time ago to warm themselves by our fires when we wore mostly skins, and long before intentional behavioral breeding became a thing, we hunted in the same manner.

We often see ourselves as tribes, and dogs as packs, because of this, in our social structure we are quite similar.

Dogs hunt in a drive fashion, and sometimes alone. We do the same.

It is not cheating, anymore than fishing with hook and worm is cheating.

It is the practice of what is instinctually within them since even before they came to our fires.

I see it is more for the dog than it is for the hunter, but it is also for hunter's love of their four-legged companions.

It is wrong to deny a dog a chance at developing their ancient instincts for survival.

Last edited:

humbletaxi86

Reaction score
I am amazed at some people claiming to be " huge hunters" logic. I don't hunt with dogs and don't really think it is for me but it being outlawed makes me SICK. The same shit can be said about hunting with lead, "a good hunter doesn't need lead to kill animals. I am such a good hunter that I can kill a deer one on one with copper bullets"(hopefully you read that in a pretentious type of voice because that is how it was meant). Where do you draw the line? If there is someone that is hunting in a legal manner then by all means support it; no one says that you have to participate in it. Just silently kick back with your self entitled superiority and keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

Mlindsay

Reaction score
I say we get rid of fish finders on all vessels.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtnsammy

Reaction score
Pacific Ghost is not against dogs just using dogs to tree a bear. He actually posted in March that he is a bird/ squirrel hunter and uses dogs for bird hunts. Not the same kind of hunter I am but he did have an opinion and then backed out as some comments went out of his first posting. We all hunt differently and he does not like the use of dogs for bears. Fair enough. Like I posted, I am upset the one who initiated the ban is from a densely populated area in Los Angeles. Another tree hugger supporter that sticks his nose into areas he has no business. The law should have come from one who is directly affected by the hunts not one who is effected by the act. Emotions need not be part of politics. I would be OK if all other legal concerns in his district were settled but nothing in LA is settled.

Just as the OP stated his opinion he was initiating a response. The one who passed the law should have initiated the response then let the ones in the areaas of the hunt regulate the dogs. I know how the dogs are used as I have rescued a beautiful puppy hound from Riverside that was let go with a collar and never retrieved or looked for. THe dog had the chip and the tracker collar had the owners info. All he wanted was the collar back. Riverside offered it back for $350, it was not picked up. I think this is the mentality the OP was offended by not the ethical use of dogs on any game.

That said I now own 2 gorgeous Bassets that will be used to hunt down small children and old people left in hospitals without families. I could choose to hunt with them looking for game but I think these two dogs will do much more comforting the lonely. Training a dog is not easy and for me it has been a 2 year journey with another before they will be ready. Anyone ever see a hound drop it's nose and take off? They do not lift up until they lose the scent. Sometimes miles away. To train a dog to hunt and then leave it alone because you can't be bothered is offensive. For me I will have several dozen kids, nurses, doctors and family members helping me catch my hounds when they break loose. My dogs are part of my family and I would be crushed if I lost one. Most hunters are the same about their dogs. Even in COlorado the cat dogs were well cared for and loved much. They are used to keep the cats in their environment and out of the publics.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I have no problem with people using dogs for whatever game they want. I care about what's safe, what's respectful of other hunters/landowners, and what doesn't hurt the species as a whole. If it meets those criteria, I don't care what a person does. We have problems with dog hunting in Florida for deer because there's a culture among many of our dog hunters that purposely disrespects land owners. But that doesn't have anything to do with whether dog hunting itself is sporting. There's a whole series of skills involved in training and running a good pack of dogs that are different but not necessarily less than the skills involved in still hunting.

Advertisement

Top Bottom