Hunting from Sac blinds

J

Jay at work

The feds are proposing that hunters in the blind area at Sacramento NWR be required to hunt from the actual blind next season. Currently hunters are only required to hunt within 100 feet of the blind. Most guys including myself get out of the blind and hunt from nearby tule patches because it provides better visibility and it allows you to adjust your position somewhat based on the wind and flight patterns.

What do you guys think?

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Jay,
I had lunch with Kevin a couple of weeks ago, and he said that the state wardens had requested this change.  They liked the ease of patrolling the blinds at LDC where you can't move out of the blinds.  Well most hunters wished they had 100 feet at LDC as well as Sac & Delevan.  Since when have we started running the hunt program to make it easier for wardens to write tickets and more difficult to hunt ducks.  This proposed change needs to be stopped.  As I told Kevin, why break a wheel that isn't broke, just to fix it.  Hunters are much happier having some room to get to cover, take advantage of wind & habitat and distance themselves from the mud mound to increase their odds at a decent hunt.  I don't think Kevin is in favor of this change and I believe if the folks at the refuge meeting show opposition he will side with the hunters.

P.S.  How do you like my Ikon?  Now, there is a "guy" who is ready to hunt.

J

Jay at work

Good to see you Mike. Nice Icon.

I intend to ask what the problem is they're trying to fix by requiring guys to hunt from the blind.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Why ???  What will it acomplish ? Why is it easy for a warden to write a ticket if I'm in a pit ? Must I stay in the pit when signing the ticket ?

Don't these folks have better things to think about ?

I don't think i have ever sat in one of those holes in all my 33 years of hunting.

Hope this one don't fly or I'll be gettin a few tickets for F.T.H.B. Failure to hunt from the blind.

:angry:

Duckit

Reaction score
One word: fugitaboutit !  What's next? Are we to be tethered to a ten foot rope that we attach to the stake at the Delevan 'blinds'? I've yet to hear one hunter complain cause they COULD get out of the blind and hunt!!  While I'm sure it would make life easier for the wardens this proposal is bad news.  Can you imagine what kinda shape those blinds would be in at the end of seson if every hunt day somebody was shooting out of em?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Just to add one more voice to the fray...

I finally made it to Sac this year.  First time since I've been in CA.  The hunt was near the end of the season, and I was under the mistaken impression that we HAD to stay in the blinds.  Which sucked, because even with some cover pulled up onto that mudhump, the birds swerved around the damned thing every time.  The only really good shots we had were some silly widgeon who came back across us after we missed them the first time.  Oh, and the greenhead who landed behind us in the tules.  I think he'd been shot in the head already, 'cause he didn't have a lick of sense.

Anyway, finding out later that I could have moved out into the tules ticked me off.  I could have had an awesome hunt if I had set up about 20 or 30 yards from the mudhump.  C'est la vie, I suppose.  Sure hope this rule change doesn't happen.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Suppose we start a tip jar at the counter for the wardens, maybe they'll be more thankful for us. Very doubtful. It sounds like something the feds would do.

Top Bottom