Hunting Hens, your thoughts

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
In so cal we were only able to spring hunt for Toms but now we have an either sex season in the fall, at first I was jazzed but after thinking about it and hunting this spring I've changed my mind, its like killing the turkey factory, around here I see very few new chick's on public land, and I worry whether we're dooming the turkeys and our future turkey hunting. I don't have a problem with other folks killing hens but for me it's a personal choice not to and hopefully others will follow suit.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I can't speak for SoCal, but around here it's not gonna hurt a thing to kill some hens. I generally believe that the DFG wouldn't have set a season if the resource couldn't handle the pressure... but I know that sometimes special interests can overrule the biologists. You're making a personal choice, and I can't fault that a bit.

biseger

Reaction score
Don't not turkey hunt in the fall, just shoot males only if thats you prefrence.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I have kin in Placerville and turkey hunt there also, my preference is to kill turkeys but we don't have the quanity down here that you have up there, it's my understanding the the local clubs ( my country club ) doesn't allow hen shooting , I like the spring hunt because of the calling challenge, thats also why I bowhunt for elk, down here the birds are in pockets mostly and once you locate them its not too hard to score.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I think it depends on the health of your turkey population. If you have plenty of turkeys to go around and you would rather fill a turkey slot with a hen than a gobbler, then go for it. If I was hunting for meat over a trophy, I would probably shoot a hen over a gobbler.

As it is, here if Florida we can't kill hens on private property during any season. In the fall, we can shoot hens in some WMAs during bow season only.

huntingbret

Reaction score
I don't know about down south but up here I saw numerous babies after the spring season ended. The place I hunted also allowed fishing so while I was on my way up fishing, I saw a hen with 5 young ones. All looked healthy to me. There were also a few toms in the distance gobbling towards the evening. Looks like it'll be a great fall hunt for me.

JNDEER

Reaction score
They all taste the same to me...No need to be doing an Q.T.M in your area...

if you don't get it, something else will

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
In so cal we were only able to spring hunt for Toms but now we have an either sex season in the fall, at first I was jazzed but after thinking about it and hunting this spring I've changed my mind, its like killing the turkey factory, around here I see very few new chick's on public land, and I worry whether we're dooming the turkeys and our future turkey hunting. I don't have a problem with other folks killing hens but for me it's a personal choice not to and hopefully others will follow suit.
The other people who have posted are absolutely right . Northern Cal and the rest on the US seems to have a healthier turkey population compared to Southern California. Personally I believe you are making a good moral decision by not shooting a hen. I wish more people thought like you on matters like this. Also, if your one the guys who hunts the SBNF, then I double commend you !

doofus

Reaction score
Last fall I had over 20 hens walk in and around my blind about 3pm in the afternoon.

I shot one, it was delicious, and it was a little unease shooting a hen, but in that area there are plenty of turkeys.

Tinknocker101

Reaction score
If it’s legal and you want a hen, it’s a personal choice. I personally would not do it. I never hunt turkeys in the fall. The real thrill for me is in reversing nature when you fool a gobbler by calling him in to 15 yards or so and make a clean kill. That’s just me & JMO.:)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I like fall hunting as much as the spring gobbling. There are less hunters out, the turkeys are more vocal when they feed in large flocks etc.

The comment that spring gobblers are more challenging is interesting. Try busting up 40 turkeys and then trying to call one back with 40 sets of wary eyes walking around you. That is a challenge that requires good calling skills and lots of patience. Fooling one bird who has one thing on his mind is easier many times.

In Socal I just shoot toms when I'm lucky enough to see one because the flocks are not that big here. In Mo I shoot hens every fall for my wingbones.

gundogs

Reaction score
I am located in Central Cal and the numbers say no to hunting hens. The predators are hard enough on the brood population.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I try to not shoot hens of any kind of bird, ducks, quail, turkeys etc. Its just a personal choice. If you feel the birds in you area cannot handle it, your probaly making the right choice. hopefully others will follow your lead.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Don't hesistate guys. If it's legal, just do it LOL. I would definitely not let it pass me during the fall. It's a decision between food or no food for that evening. Just like a doe. If it was legal, I would definitely be one of the many first hunters to be in line for a doe tag. Remember guys, just do it LOL.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
If you call your birds in the sport is just as challenging for any turkey in the Fall. If you spot and stalk the hens can be easy. If you want a challenge hunt gobblers in the Fall. In the Spring they are lovesick and easier to call in. In the Fall they are a tough hunt.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Went coyote hunting yesterday, found the remains of 3 young turkey bird's in an area that has a very low turkey population, guess I'll buy my turkey at the market until next spring or go north and hunt Placerville.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Went coyote hunting yesterday, found the remains of 3 young turkey bird's in an area that has a very low turkey population, guess I'll buy my turkey at the market until next spring or go north and hunt Placerville.
That doesn't necessarily mean that the turkey population in that area is on the low side. The birds may be scattered throughout the area. Last week while pig hunting, I came upon 15 turkeys. Within the group, there were a few long beard gobblers, that I can clearly see. I know the area is not limited to just those that I saw. Since this area was huge, and it being the national forest, I'm sure there are more turkeys out there than just the ones I stumbled upon. I just can't wait for the fall hunt to begin. Hen or gobbler, if I see it, it's going down.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
huntingbret, my observation of low turkey numbers is based on experience, time afield and scientific facts from biologists , good luck on your killing spree lol,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom