Hunting in Mexico

Remshot

Reaction score
Seeing all the dove we have here in the Imperial Valley this year kinda reminded me of hunting in Mexico.The dove season used to start 8/1 ever year and the price of admission finally stopped me cold. For $200 a guy could hunt dove,quail,ducks and pheasant .Ammo was limited to 50 rounds per gun,2 guns per hunter.Pheasants were limited to 7 birds per season,one mourning 2 of us got 15 by 8 a.m.Yeah,I know,we done a bad thing.
 We hunted dove 'til pheasant season started and shot tons of birds.We just about fed Ejido de Leon that year.All this was about a 40 min. drive from El Centro.It was not uncommon to see B-cat and coyote in the middle of the day either.
 I'd like to hear about hunts others have had down there,I haven't been down there since the "guide service"started up.Sure was a kick in the a$$ .

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I used to hunt quail down there, usually south of Tecate.  I was absolutely amazing.  Limits could be had in a couple hundred yards of walking.  We too stopped once the guide service law started.  I know some guys that still hunt down there and all told it amounts to about $1500 a season.  I'd say it would still be worth it if you could hunt a couple times a week, but thats not possible for me.

Remshot

Reaction score
 SDHNTR,the pheasant down there flushed like quail! We never bothered going after quail.Just pheasant and jump shooting ducks.We hired local kids as guides and birddogs for a couple bucks a day and the dad for $20 plus they got most of the game.They also scouted,fed us and cleaned the birds.We were spoiled.
 You're right,$1500 is worth it if you live close by.We went just about every w-end 'til April,they have a long season and the renewal fees were about $35.What was amazing is that we never made a dent in the game population.My buddy once knocked down 4 pheasant with 4 shots.
These birds are of the Turkish strain that was introduced to the Imperial Valley and made their way to Mex.Beautiful birds,real dark in coloration.They are real strong flyers and the fastest pheasant I had ever seen.They would take 2 shots more often as not to bring 'em down and if they weren't hit they would blaze on 'til they were out of sight.
 Might have to back again soon,it is truly unreal.If you get a chance,go.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Sounds like fun.  I guess we never went after the pheasant because it was an easier drive for quail.  It was amazing though.  Sounds like our quail hunting was similar to your pheasant hunting.  We developed a relationship with a landowner down there and would bring him things like cases of motor oil, duct tape, zip ties, spare nuts and bolts, bags of cement and other handy ranch materials that are tough to get down there.  He would send his 2 sons out to wait on us and we would give them $20 each.  I can remember many days of shooting a limit of quail in a half hour or less.  Baja sure shot themselves in the foot as I know of at least a dozen fellow hunters who used to hunt down there but have since given it up due to all the regulations and high cost.  I'd still do it if I had the time.  I really do miss that action.

B

BDOG

REMSHOT You sure hit a sour note when it comes to going to Mexico.I should have given you my free vouchers to fly there. I just passed on a free trip there.Yes I would love to go there but they just don't have a clue when it comes to running a country.I'm done with mexico as are alot of people. Just try to find the mexican board of tourism. It dosn't exist, but I hear it on the radio atleast twice a day.Must be part of NAFTA.BDOG

Remshot

Reaction score
 BDOG,if you ever change your mind about hunting in Mexico let me know.We can get together and I'll sell you dove ,quail or pheasant at a fair price.Of course,this is offer is predicated on the local currency rate of exchange and what kinda whoppers plan on telling.

Top Bottom