Hunting in the rain

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
How many of you have hunted in the rain? What preparations do you have to do to your gun?

The forecast calls for 70% chance of rain Saturday up at Kern.

Is it worth it to go out or be warm and toasty at home?

Jay

Reaction score
WD-40 before the hunt, dry it off and put on more WD-40 after, it'll be fine.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Nothing depresses me more than good weather during duck season. It's almost impossible to be too cold or windy, and both of those are almost always accompanied by rain. So, let it rain and then rain some more.

songdog

Reaction score
bad weather = good duck hunting

miserable weather = really good duck hunting

worst weather I've ever seen = unbelievable duck hunting

ok, it's getting dangerous now weather = duck hunting heaven

VA Native

Reaction score
I just wipe down the gun with a gun cloth at the begining and end of the day.  (I rusted a barrel once putting it away wet in a cheap gun case). I now use those silicone gun cases, they are cheap and work great.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Sooner or later we all get a chance at a foggy day, rainy day or wind, but I'll take the cold.  The way I see it the worst is warm and pleasant which gives the bird no reasons to fly.  Cold weather turns up a ducks matabolism, they need to eat to stay warm, they have to fly to go to food, if they fly they, you know the rest.  What this year is missing more than just birds is some really cold weather.  Don't forget, a duck is already wet!

steve

Reaction score
Just as Jay says wd40 works great.Gotta get out there wont be much flying in the house.

huntducks

Reaction score
IMHO best to me is snow type blizzard conditions with 40mph wind, second is that thick fog that clears for 15 min then moves back in, the ducks go nuts when it opens up above they drop in like water going down a drain, third is 50mph wind at the sea or anywhere they head for cover and do it by flying low.

I don't like the rain at all makes it tuff to hunt and even tuffer to walk & drive in the mud.

One thing that is always good for a great shoot is a quick cold snap that freezes all the ponds and you have to brake holes or it only leaves running water opened or a small area on a huge lake.

To each his own.

songdog

Reaction score
The fog was pretty thick Wednesday morning at Kern.  It was pretty close to "if you could actually see it the bird was in range" type of hunting.  We hunted as much with our ears as with our eyes Wednesday.

The two newbies I took managed 10 ducks between the two of them which was pretty good considering...

O

outdoorsman

I agree with Jay, WD-40.  He should know,hunting in the bay.  If your worried put a little on a rag, put that in a sandwitch bag in your pocket.  Wipe your gun down during your hunt.  Can't hurt.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Rain doesn't really do alot for duck hunting. Throw in some wind, fog or cold and things get interesting.Rain is usually accompanied by wind so it improves your chances but rain only just gets you wet as the temperature is usually higher and the birds will sit.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Any time you can get in a blind is a good day no matter the weather. Wind is great at Wister , but lousy at Cibola I'm told . Rain is horrible to have at Wister. Had my best shoot this year on a bluebird day at the Hazard unit.  

Megadeth

Reaction score
What rain should mean to all duckhunters? More springtime pools to have a brood. Efforts must be made to ensure OUR ducks/wildlife have adequate water for breeding or just utilizing! I love shooting ducks also, its my passion, but a brood of Ca raised greenheads is one hell of a beautiful sight! As far as hunting weather. Give me a nasty, cold wind with a touch of fog. The nastier the wind , the better.  

Megadeth

Reaction score
I almost forgot the most important part about hunting in the rain. GORE TEX LEAKS LIKE A SEIVE! Does anybody have long/short term remedies?

jerry d

Reaction score
Give it a wipe down with Breakfree before you go out and another wipe down when you come in.

Takes care of everything but the inside of the barrel after you fire it.

This stuff is good for any thing that's exposed to moisture. Best thing I've found for lubricating a firearm or fighting moisture. Doesn't disipate like WD 40. May even be the answer to the common cold....

I don't mind hunting in rain with a stiff wind but a steady down pour with no wind chases me to cover.

Gore-Tex has a treatment for their jackets that's suppose to re-new the material when it starts to leak.

I think it's on their website.

hntndux

Reaction score
Like jerry D, I'm a break-free fan.  Probably the best rust inhibitor/lubricant I've found.  WD works great in a pinch though since it was originally designed for Water Displacement by the military.

Huntinfiend

Reaction score
W-D's the ticket.  I donated a barrel a few seasons back because I didn't know this very useful bit of info.  Give it a good soak, and wipe it down.....do the same when you get back.  
    As for huntin' in the rain......you gotta go out.  A duck hunter is in his realm when the weather is nasty.  A duck hunter is the only type of person who looks at wind and rain as GREAT weather as to Sun with 75 degree temps as BAD weather.  You'll kick yourself in the pants if you don't go.

Orygun

Reaction score
Go!Go!Go!Go!  How many weekends do you get to hunt a year, you are given 107 days, 45 are actual shoot days on refuges.  Take away family  and other obligations, you get just a precious few days in the marsh a year.  Spend a weekend soaked to the bone, dry and warm up during the week.

Wind and cold do seem to be the ticket for birds.

Megadeth, how old is your Gore-tex(jacket??). There are treatments you can buy which will "re-seal" Gore-tex.  They might have them at Big 5 or REI or any other yuppie outdoor store.  Can't remember the name of the gunk. just know you toss a bottle of it in the washer with your raingear and it does pretty good at sealing it, unless you talking rips or tears.

Spend enough time outside in horrible weather and all raingear leaks.

Brent

Duck Assassin

Reaction score
I wipe down my gun before and after. My Browning Gold Hunter holds up better than my Remingtons. Interesting site about anti-corrosion test a guy did.
http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html
As far as Gortex goes it seems to leak but I think it is perspiration with the factor that the outside is wet not letting it breath. I have done tests where I swear it leaks but the day after testing it in a wash basin with water and a jacket sub-merged it stays dry overnight.

I have used Revivex on Gortex and even on  none waterproof clothing and it works for me.
http://www.gore.com/store/revivex/

Reading a article in Backpacking or Outdoors. On thier test only the Gortex type jackets with breathing holes under the arms and back did somewhat well keeping you dry.

I take 2-3 pair of gloves on rain days. They seem to stay dry for only 2-3 hours. I have not found a pair of Gortex type gloves that passed my sub-merge test.

(Edited by Duck Assassin at 12:59 am on Jan. 6, 2002)

Top Bottom